Question about convoys from the Persian Gulf to the US in WW II

Philippe

Does anyone here know if there was significant maritime traffic between Saudi Arabia and the US in WW II, significant enough to warrant the use of convoys?

The reason that I ask is that the latest incarnation of SC 2 includes a convoy between Saudi Arabia and the US. This may just be a proxy for everybody else's trade with the US, and it had to start somewhere, so it was given a starting point in Saudi Arabia. As I understand it Saudi Arabia's oil was discovered by Standard Oil in 1936, and though reserves were eventually deemed very significant I doubt that production was anywhere near what was coming out of Iraq and Iran throughout the 1940's.

If anyone here has a handle on this, please post in the first SC 2 forum in the thread about convoys from Saudi Arabia.

During WWII, using a standard metric (bbls per day, or sumfink) North American Oil production was 600, South/Central American production was 500, Asian was 60, Europe was 60, and the "Middle East" (incl everything from Egypt to Afghanistan, Somalia to Stalingrad, and in particular includes Soviet production from Maikop to Baku) was 300.

Oil from Saudi/Kuwait/Iraq/Persia was important, but not terribly so. I see no reason why any of it would be shipped from there to the US.

(numbers sourced from graphic in Deighton "Blood, tears, and folly)

Cross posted.

Jon

I had thought of that, but as described the convoy seems to go from SA to the USA, not the other way round. Also, in the other thread, it seems that the convoys ae only triggered by SA activation.

Disclaimer: I don't own or play SC, so the finer mechanics there are out of my ken.