Rebooting due to bugcheck

I suspect that this problem is not due to CM, but is probably another problem being triggered by CM (both CMBO and CMBB) as both games ran fine until recently.

Basically I can't run CM for long before the system reboots (during one recent PBEM turn it occurred 3 times!). Looking at the system message in event viewer I can see a message such as -

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007f (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini050703-09.dmp

The bugcheck details hex values are not always the same. Th crash can happen at any point in the turn, even in one case when attempting to create the new PBEM file. Other games such as Civ3 and Galactic Civilizations work fine, but I realise neither are as graphically demanding as CM.

My System -

AMD XP 2000

Windows XP (with SP1 and all recent Microsoft patches)

512 MB DDR

Nvidia Geforce 3 Ti500 (30.82 drivers)

Sound Blaster Audigy (latest drivers)

I suspect a corrupt driver somewhere and tried to fix this by reinstalling the latest Soundblaster drivers and upgrading DirectX to 9.0a, but with no luck. I'm loath to upgrade the Nvidia drivers due to the known problems, DXDIAG reports no problems, neither did CHKDSK. I've tried defragging my HD, again with no resolution.

I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

FireFly .... have you tried using XP's 'system restore', if you have a recent resore point it can fix quite a range of problems.

After rooting around in the registry at the weekend my system started playing up and I couldnt drag n drop, copy, move or delete any file within windows explorer ... system restore cured it just fine.

Obviously it works best when using a recent restore point ... the older the restore the more chance something wont work as it should ... newly installed software etc.

Failing that you could try to reinstall CM ?

Lou2000

Thanks to both for your suggestions, I forgot to say that I did try a reinstall of CMBB. I also downloaded a shareware utility which tidies up the registry and checks for other junk on the PC, it didn't seem to help, but I have a tidier PC smile.gif . I'm starting to wonder it might be due to overheating, I'll have to take the box off and make sure the fan is working OK.

Thanks for that Lou, I did see that thread when I did a Google search myself, as you say somebody who knows more than I do may reply there. The reason I'm suspecting overheating is that the box is quite warm to touch after the PC has been on for a while. I processed all my PBEMs today shortly after turning on the PC for the first time and had no errors. I haven't had time to try a full solo game though.

I'm touching a lot of wood as type this (yeah, I know how can you type and touch wood at the same time smile.gif ), but I've just managed to play 10 turns of a solo game with no problems. I did two things yesterday that may have helped. I cleaned out a lot of grunge that had accumulated in the vents of my PC case and I installed the updated processor drivers from Microsoft (dated December 2002), I missed the latter before as it is only a 'recommended' update rather than a 'critical' update, it appears that Win Update only alerts you to critical updates if you have it check automatically, you have to run it from the Start menu to check for all Windows updates. I don't know which did the trick, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed, which also makes typing difficult.