Help with XP - Task Manager and MSCONFIG

I am having a problem getting Task Manager and MSCONFIG to come up. When I do the Ctrl-Alt-Del press, Task Manager pops up briefly and then disappears. The icon shows in the system tray but disappears as soon as I move my mouse over it. Doing some searching on Google seemed to point at a virus. Did a virus scan but found nothing. I tried opening MSCONFIG and found it was doing the same thing as task manager. I rebooted and went into Safe mode. Everything worked fine there. In MSCONFIG, I turned everything off so that it would boot with minimal stuff. It still has the same problem. I have uninstalled my NVidia drivers and Sound Blaster drivers. I have also reinstalled XP. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Well, I tracked it down. Somehow a bogus Explorer.exe found its way into my System32 directory and added a pointer to it in the registry to start up when Windows starts. It was killing my task manager, msconfig and regedit. I found it by downloading a third party task manager tool and noticed that there were two explorer.exe's running. The second looked to have been created recently, so I tried stopping the task and found that the problems vanished.