Tungsten Shells question

In a game I am playing I had a 76mm Sherman fire two tungsten shells(I made sure they were tungsten not AP) against a Panther (head on) at 100m. Both bounced :( . Is this possible? I thought a tungsten shell could go though 243mm of armor at that distants, and a Panther is only 110mm at its thickest, Am I missing something? :confused:

Sanman

Read the gun penetration data a little more closely. The American 76mm with Tungsten ammo penetrates 243mm or armor at zero degrees.

In CMBO Panther's frontal hull armor (upper and lower) is modeled as sloped at 55 degrees. The turret is modeled in CMBO as curved, which means that the slope varies depending on exactly where on the front turret the shell hits.

The game's info screen does not give a penetration number for the 76mm at 55 degrees and 100m, but at 60 degrees slope, the penetration is listed at a mere 49mm. At 55 degrees, then, it's penetration is probably somewhere between 50mm and 60mm. This is insufficient to reliably penetrate the Panther's frontal hull plates, which are modeled in CMBO at 80mm thick for the upper hull and 60mm thick for the lower hull. Since the turret is 110mm 'curved', the Tungsten actually stands a much better chance (though not a sure thing) against the Panther's turret armor - here penetration will depend on how flat the shot hits the turret's curved surface. A relatively flat hit should penetrate, a more glancing hit towards the edge of the turret front will not.

The Panther is modeled as having only 85% armor quality in CMBO though, so Tungsten probably does stand *some* chance of penetrating the front armor at point blank range, it's just not a sure thing.

Tungsten is most effective against relatively flat armor (Like the Tiger I's), and can penetrate very thick plate so long as it hits fairly flat. Against more highly sloped plate, it is only marginally better than regular AP.

Cheers,

YD

Thanks for the info yankeedog, smile.gif makes my losses much more bareable. I had heard so much about tungstens ability to kill big cats from the front I was surprise to see the shells bounce off at that range. Won't try that again :eek: .

Sanman

Originally posted by sanman:

In a game I am playing I had a 76mm Sherman fire two tungsten shells(I made sure they were tungsten not AP) against a Panther (head on) at 100m. Both bounced :( . Is this possible? I thought a tungsten shell could go though 243mm of armor at that distants, and a Panther is only 110mm at its thickest, Am I missing something? :confused:

Sanman

In combat and firing trials, U.S. 76mm HVAP could penetrate the Panther glacis on a small percentage of hits at 100 yards, and sometimes at 200 yards.

Having a brittle glacis plate would help.