Operations Questions

I recently began playing a pbem operation, my first ever, a CMBO op based on Market Garden. I'm the Axis and my objective is to control the bridge across the wide river. Currently, I control my side of the river and my opponent controls his side.

With no flags, what's the point in trying to cross the bridge, which is long and exposed? Why should I bother? Crossing is sure to cost me some troops, and with no flag on the map, what's the incentive to do that? Other than casualties, how does the game program determine a winner?

I see two possibilities, but the real experts on operations could probably come up with a few more.

In an operation you can't always see the whole map in the first battle. So it may be that the flags are currently hidden on a part of the map you can't yet see.

The more likely explanation is that this is an 'advance' type operation, which doesn't require any flags. Victory points will be determined by how far you advance up the map.

The bridge that needs to be controlled is basically in the center of the map. The Op type, I believe, says Destroy.

Originally posted by Sgt_Kelly:

I see two possibilities, but the real experts on operations could probably come up with a few more.

In an operation you can't always see the whole map in the first battle. So it may be that the flags are currently hidden on a part of the map you can't yet see.

The more likely explanation is that this is an 'advance' type operation, which doesn't require any flags. Victory points will be determined by how far you advance up the map.

I'm a little rusty with CMBO, but in CMBB and CMAK you have three types of Ops -- Advance, Assault, and Static. Advance and assault have the same objective -- the attacker must get to the end of the map. Static Ops have flags and I would assume that if it is based on Market Garden there would be a flag on this major bridge.

So, first you have to be sure who is the attacker in this Op. Second, where is the edge of the map that the enemy has to reach. If the brief doesn't say... then it is a bad brief.

Tactically... if you are strong and the enemy is weak you should grab their side of the bridge. If you are weak, defend. Most likely the enemy will be coming your way.

How is a winner determined? If the enemy reaches the edge of the map... game over. So be sure you have the length of the field under observation and watch out for sneaking flankers. Don't let anything get by! The score will be based on how long you were able to prevent the enemy from reaching the objective. The manual does not state it, but I assume casualties will count for something. Static victory -- casualties and flag points.

The end score in ops is always disappointing because it just gives you the victory level with no point score.

Since this map (I assume) requires major river crossing, I would consult with your opponent on some ground rules. Between battles, your enemy's set up zone may allow him to set up on the other side of river he did not actually cross during the battle. You may want to make a rule that he can't set up on the far bank unless he actually captured it in battle.

Good luck