Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Using Bren Carriers Offensively

Played a quick battle over the weekend - Canucks vs. Jerries.

1000 point Allied probe - I was given a very high morale Canadian motor rifle company (crack and elite) plus an entire carrier platoon and some support units.

I used the carrier platoon to ferry one entire motor rifle platoon (split into squads) around the far left flank of the defensive position. They're really zippy, as you know, and I was able to essentially completely flank the defensive line with a whole motor rifle platoon, then use the mounted Bren Guns to provide fire support. I had the Humber scout ahead of the column, just to be sure, but in the end, they all made it, entirely intact.

I'd never do this if the enemy had the path of advance under observation or I knew they had a lot of AT guns or armour, but in this situation, which turned out to be pretty infantry-heavy, it was a great way to get a 1/3 of my force around quickly.

I'm sure players who use half-tracks a lot can give a lot of advice on the use of mounted Panzergrenadiers or US Mechanized Infantry.

I tend to play Canadian light infantry (sans carriers) a lot, and it was interesting to be able to manoeuvre forces at speeds higher than a brisk walk.