Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

a couple of oddities noted...

Yaba

Hi there - both these occured in the Line of Defense scenario so, obviously

Spoilers below...

Ok - 1) When is a tank shocked yet not shocked?

My Tiger is lining up a shot to finish off an immobilzed Sherman when KAPLOW, he is hit in the side of the turret by a bazooka round and is shocked (1 crew member killed). To my shock the Tiger pauses a fraction (maybe 1 second) and fires anyway KOing the Sherman. At the order's phase of the next turn my Tiger still says shocked but I am able to give him orders. This has never happend to me in either CMBO or CMBB - could it be that it was a mere radio operator that was killed?

2) - captured folks get no respect...

Ok - two things occured in different games here both on the same scenario.

a) My opponent rushes a bazooka team unknowingly towards a building occupied by a squad of my troops. Captured. A building deeper into my territory is under fire and a squad insided is pinned down. Now, call me gamey but I ordered that captured squad to march out in the open towards and into that building within full view of the Yankees on the hill firing. They didn't even miss a beat. They kept firing into that building so for the sake of humanity I eventually pulled my captured bazooka Joe's out of the building, well Joe now that they Allied had killed one of the crew. It was my impression that you were able to fire small arms fire into areas occupied by your troops captured but not big stuff (and yes, the Americans could see thier guys walk right into that building - god knows they could see everything from up on that hill!)

B) This time I am Allied and I am moving my tanks towards town. I see a foxhole within close range appear at the end of my watching phase. I order two of the tanks to area target the foxhole with their main guns (see if anyone is home). Within a few seconds a very rattled tank killer squad crawls out of thier hole and puts their hands up. To my horror my tank crews keep firing for the next 55 seconds killing the tank killer crew! All I could do was watch! Oh, the humanity... I am pretty sure that I have only killed captured squads by accident when they get caught in crossfire between me and my enemy.

3) I know, I didn't say there would be a third but what the hey...

Do you still recieve points for capturing a squad if you order them to march of the a) back of the map or B) side of the map? Or, do you need to hold onto them until the end of the game?

Cheers,

Now, call me gamey but I ordered that captured squad to march out in the open towards and into that building within full view of the Yankees on the hill firing. They didn't even miss a beat. They kept firing into that building so for the sake of humanity I eventually pulled my captured bazooka Joe's out of the building, well Joe now that they Allied had killed one of the crew.
IIRC, using captured troops as human shields, was an abusive tactic available in BB and BO. This has been corrected. Not that I, personally, would ever stoop so low.

Yes, I know, my bad. Still, does this mean that the AI does not have any sympathy towards captured troops? Obviously, in my second example, I had no intention of killing the tank killer crew who surrendered on the 5 second of being area target but they were killed anyway. I wonder if this no use of captured troops (and I must admit that I have probably used this tactic 2-3 times in the 100+ times I have played this game) is because troops seem to give up a little easier than CMBO or CMBB? In the Line of Defense scenario I probalby captured 5 - 6 different squads before the end of the game. At my best I would get 2 - 3 squads in CMBB and the only very rarely and only when I had the squads surrounded.

Originally posted by Yaba:

This time I am Allied and I am moving my tanks towards town. I see a foxhole within close range appear at the end of my watching phase. I order two of the tanks to area target the foxhole with their main guns (see if anyone is home). Within a few seconds a very rattled tank killer squad crawls out of thier hole and puts their hands up. To my horror my tank crews keep firing for the next 55 seconds killing the tank killer crew! All I could do was watch!

When you give a unit an area fire order, there are only a few things that will cause them to quit before the end of the turn and you tell them to quit in the next orders phase.

• If they run out of ammo.

• If they no longer have an LoS to the spot.

• If it is a building they are targetting and the building collapses.

• If a threatening enemy unit looms up and is seen.

• Oh yeah, if they themselves get killed.

Othewise, they just keep popping away.

Michael