Powerbook G3 transparency

There's been a previous thread regarding getting CM to work with the Powerbook G3 (freezing at the 'loading 3D graphics' window). I think I've traced this to a single extension: ATI Resource Manager. CM runs fine without it, but I don't get any transparency effects (fog, buildings, smoke, and yes I've cycled through the different graphics options with the hotkeys in the game). My question: is this a fundamental limitation of my graphics card, or is there some combination of (older) ATI extensions that will provide transparency? (I'm using a Powerbook G3, OS 8.6, with the latest ATI update (1.4.8, I think)). Just want to know if someone out there has a similar system working with transparency before I waste a bunch of time trying different ATI extension versions.

I'm using a PB G3/300, 192 MB, OS 8.5, and was having trouble with CM bailing out to the desktop the first time it loaded graphics, but subsequently loading fine and not showing fog or transparency. I turned off a bunch of extension (Norton, OpenGL), and restarted. No effect. A few hours (and several restarts later), I restarted in 640x480 and it suddenly stopped quitting to the desktop and started showing transparency! (Yes, I had cycled through all the switches, and left them in the transparency settings, which is why I got smoke, fog, and buildings all at once)

I've since turned all the extensions back on and even restarted in 1024x768 and it all still works. I don't understand, but I'm not going to complain.

The machine has a RageLTPro,with I think 4 MB VRAM.

My drivers:

ATI MPP Manager 1.0

ATI Resource Manager 1.2.4

ATI 3D Accelerator 4.3.6

ATI Driver Update 1.4.6 (I think 1.4.8 started all my troubles...)

ATI Graphics Accelerator 3.4

ATI Video Memory Manager 7.5

Thanks! I downloaded ATI Universal Installer 3.3, which includes some of the older versions of my extensions. Works fine, with fog etc. -- what a difference! The only problem I have now is that the 'l' and 'i' letters in the fonts on screen are screwed up, but I can live with that and potentially fix with a little more extension tweaking.