Smoke shells fire instead of HE ?

I am playing a game and I set several armored units to fire normal and several others to fire smoke shells.

Ended up that all units fired their smoke shells!

This happened with units that were even located very far a part from each other.

Why did this happen? Is this some bug?

I have never seen this happen before.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jordan

I don't think so. I loaded up the saved game and checked. I had them all with the red targeting lines. Only some had the white smoke targeting lines.

They all fired smoke no matter how they were set.

Any ideas? This is really frustrating and I don't want to have it happen again.

Thanks!

Jordan

I check the saved game file and the orders were issued correctly. I can tell by the color of the targeting lines.

Plus, the turn is done, I just don't want it to happen again.

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else know why this happened?

Thanks!

Jordan

Did the units that fired smoke (and weren't supposed to) also back into cover?

It seems to me that the tacAI favors either firing or releasing smoke and then backing out of LOS for light armor up against heavier stuff.

Two possible explanations:

a) do the "armored units" have any HE left at all?

B) is the targetted infantry chewing up another of your units? If that is the case, and if the TacAI feels like HE might be ineffective, it might decide on its own to fire smoke in CMBO (a feature, which IIRC is toned down in CMBB on player request, by the way)

Martin

Moon,

a) yes, they have almost their full load.

B) hmmm...the targeted units are firing at

other inf, but from a pretty far range and not in a heavy fashion at all.

Perhaps, this was the case, although it would seem a very odd time to use smoke and not HE. Considering the turn before HE was ok and the conditions were similar.

Thanks for the reply.

Jordan

Originally posted by Moon:

Two possible explanations:

a) do the "armored units" have any HE left at all?

B) is the targetted infantry chewing up another of your units? If that is the case, and if the TacAI feels like HE might be ineffective, it might decide on its own to fire smoke in CMBO (a feature, which IIRC is toned down in CMBB on player request, by the way)

Martin

I had the exact same thing happen to me not more then a month ago or so. I was playing a Pbem and my opponent asked me why I was firing so much smoke and I told him that I thought it was him doing it as I was firing Heat from the one tank I had firing. My tank was showing a red line but sure as hell it was that tank firing smoke. Don't ask me what happened. I just figured a bug or frank thing and it's not happened since until you came along and mentioned it. I want my money back - it's a bug I now find out. :D And that's probably the reason I lost that battle too. So I should get something for - what's that term, pain and suffering? :D

haha! Right, I hope I don't lose my battle because of this! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one, perhaps this is one of those rare bugs we'll just have to live with.

Thanks for the reply.

Jordan

Originally posted by lcm1947:

I had the exact same thing happen to me not more then a month ago or so. I was playing a Pbem and my opponent asked me why I was firing so much smoke and I told him that I thought it was him doing it as I was firing Heat from the one tank I had firing. My tank was showing a red line but sure as hell it was that tank firing smoke. Don't ask me what happened. I just figured a bug or frank thing and it's not happened since until you came along and mentioned it. I want my money back - it's a bug I now find out. :D And that's probably the reason I lost that battle too. So I should get something for - what's that term, pain and suffering? :D

[ June 21, 2003, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: AstroCat ]