CM2 Operations

C'Rogers

Many people on this forum have posted their ideas on what should/could be incorporated into CM2. Though I do not have many posts on this board I have read it for quite some time and greatly enjoy the game (otherwise known as best game ever). And like everyone I have quite a few ideas on what can be done to make the game better; and as some have done I am going to try and pitch one now.

I am unsure how many people play Operations here; but I believe that it is a feature that has a lot of potential. I also know that a lot of people want a single player campaign; and that Battlefront is never going to give them one (unless I am hugely misinterpreting their stance).

So what I suggest is a compromise between these two. Operations could be greatly expanded upon to allow a long (real-time days) game. This would allow players to have a long continuous game like a campaign, yet retaining the realism that makes Combat Mission so great. They would still happen over the same game span time as the current operations, with more intricate options to create a deeper depth of play. In addition I imagine it could make for some interesting multiplayer.

So what needs to be done to expand Operations to the point that they take place of a campaign? Here are my suggestions of just some of many possibilities.

First, quick battle Operations are needed. Sure Operations can be set up in the scenario editor, but allowing a quick battle option with similar settings to allow a fast construction would make operations much more playable.

As well operations need to feel like they are more than just a series of linked battles, but actually one large combat. More concepts need to be put in about the ‘out of game concepts’ that have always been talked about as existing, but not incorporated into the game. Designate supply lines that players need to know about is one example (ie. If we are to keep the armor reinforcements coming in we need to hold that road as it is the only terrain they can come in safely on). As well have a higher focus on resupply issues. Has combat been close quarters, men low on grenades? Could the commander request additional grenades and SMGs perhaps instead of the standard reinforcements? The opponent brought heavy armor; do we need to request additional anti-tank weaponry? Though many parts of the reinforcement would be what had been prepared pre-battle, their should be dynamic elements depended what the commander finds his troops have engaged. I imagine there are many issues that could easily come up in addition to these examples. Of course Battlefront should keep the focus on the battles but there are a number of important tactical issues that a commander in an operation would be responsible for and could enhance the game play.

Lastly the surrounding world of the battle should be defined a little better. Is your battle just a solitary engagement, or is it just one part of a massive series of engagements your side is engaging in? Are you starting off the battle or are your forces coming in as reinforcements to an area with already heavy battle? Though normally this might not affect the game; it could have important issues on what ammo and supplies are available, who could you count on for reinforcements, and what effects have the combat had on the terrain.

In all a player should feel like he is part of a larger world and has control over some of the decisions being made in those periods in-between battle. These decisions should be quick and occur after a combat has finished/before one started; but also not just be limited to before the game choices. This I believe would expand on an interesting game type as well as satisfy some of the desires of those seeking a campaign. Of course it should not be on the scale of units increasing experience, as Battlefront has said many times, but there would be a bigger connection if you had battles were units fought, removed, and than brought back into the battle after being re-supplied than the current model.

Just some thoughts. I have always been intrigued by the concept of the Operations in this game but always thought that it could be improved upon. In CM2 the core of what makes this game great should remain unchanged; but there are meta-game (at least currently) issues that it would be both realistic, tactically significant, and straight out enjoyable to incorporate into the game. I look forward to people’s thoughts and criticisms on my idea.

P.S. Of course there are number of other things that wouldn’t disappoint me. Multiple players to simulate commanders having to work together. An option to set a quick battle to ‘realistic random’ so the game calculates the random factors based upon the actual conditions of the time and area. With a host of other ideas, better graphics and such, but my main focus is on the Operations.

Hello C'Rogers

You have some really good ideas for CMX2 operations(many in which I share),and I have hope and faith that BF.C will deliver a much improved quality product when CMX2 is released.

My main reason for the reply is to alert you to a "campaign operation" that is currently being attempted at MZO(just scroll down to the Combat Missions section and click on Combat Mission War Theatre

This is very similar to what you are talking about.It is multiplayer and all the generals on each side work together in strategy,reinforcements,tactics,etc,against the other side.There are several maps in which the battles may take place on,and the goal is to capture the enemy's supply depot,thus winning the campaign.

This is our first attempt at this,but I think it has alot of promise.It combines alot of the great ideas and features of both operations,and campaigns,while keeping the challenge of playing against people.Check it out,I know that the allied side could use another player smile.gif If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

*CMBB is required to participate*

And there's CMMC for a more detailed approach to a meta-campaign. On a larger scale and with some roleplaying elements there's the Onion Wars and at divisional scale there's my own little fictional operation that I'm working on called the Battle of Syroj Novichok here.

For single player campaign fun, ROQC is an excellent spreadsheet based system.