Sharpshooters in CMBB

I think that in BB they're one if the most useful and versatile units in the game. They make good scouts, they convince gun crews to "go for more ammunition" ;) in 3-4 shots, and of course massacre TCs. I've been wondering, though, what affects sharpshooter accuracy? I've seen a Veteran ShSher nail three TCs in a row at over 500m, then miss a TC at 20m. Why is that? Also, why the long reload time and low ammo? Does it really take 15 seconds to recock and aim a sniper rifle? And surely they'd have more than 10 bullets! :confused:

I think that in BB they're one if the most useful and versatile units in the game. They make good scouts, they convince gun crews to "go for more ammunition" ;) in 3-4 shots, and of course massacre TCs. I've been wondering, though, what affects sharpshooter accuracy? I've seen a Veteran ShSher nail three TCs in a row at over 500m, then miss a TC at 20m. Why is that? Also, why the long reload time and low ammo? Does it really take 15 seconds to recock and aim a sniper rifle? And surely they'd have more than 10 bullets! :confused:

Hey Tigri, glad you're into the game as much as you are, but a lot of your questions could be answered if you used the search feature. Sharpshooters are discussed in great detail.

But to answer your questions. Sharpshooters are totally dependent on their experience. A conscript sharpshooter is still useful for buttoning up tanks, but don't expect an actual kill. While a veteran (as you noted), will button up, and have a good chance for a kill. All else equal, they gain the "normal" benefits from experience as well (like quicker response times, etc.)

The reason your sharpshooter did not open up at 20 meters is because he would be committing suicide. Think about it. At 20 meters the enemy would definitely see him and his stealth advantage is lost. I'm not sure what the exact range is, but these guys generally won't shoot at things that are within 150 meters of where they are.

Oh yes, "why the long re-load time?" Um . . . not really a reload time, more like a stealth meter delay. A sharpshooter in reality fires once, and the gets the hell away from that position so as not to get caught. If you let him sit there and act as an MG would, he will, but at a very delayed pace. And I think this is why the Battlefront boys decided on 10 ammo, it represent the realism that sharpshooters don't just sit there and fire endless kills.

[ January 11, 2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: tigger ]

Hey Tigri, glad you're into the game as much as you are, but a lot of your questions could be answered if you used the search feature. Sharpshooters are discussed in great detail.

But to answer your questions. Sharpshooters are totally dependent on their experience. A conscript sharpshooter is still useful for buttoning up tanks, but don't expect an actual kill. While a veteran (as you noted), will button up, and have a good chance for a kill. All else equal, they gain the "normal" benefits from experience as well (like quicker response times, etc.)

The reason your sharpshooter did not open up at 20 meters is because he would be committing suicide. Think about it. At 20 meters the enemy would definitely see him and his stealth advantage is lost. I'm not sure what the exact range is, but these guys generally won't shoot at things that are within 150 meters of where they are.

Oh yes, "why the long re-load time?" Um . . . not really a reload time, more like a stealth meter delay. A sharpshooter in reality fires once, and the gets the hell away from that position so as not to get caught. If you let him sit there and act as an MG would, he will, but at a very delayed pace. And I think this is why the Battlefront boys decided on 10 ammo, it represent the realism that sharpshooters don't just sit there and fire endless kills.

[ January 11, 2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: tigger ]

The other thing to bear in mind Tigrii is that the 10 shot limit is an abstraction with each "shot" that you hear being fired actually representing a number of individual shots. That's why a sharpshooter (usually if at least veteran) can sometimes kill two guys in a squad with one "shot" due to this abstraction.

Regards

Jim R.

The other thing to bear in mind Tigrii is that the 10 shot limit is an abstraction with each "shot" that you hear being fired actually representing a number of individual shots. That's why a sharpshooter (usually if at least veteran) can sometimes kill two guys in a squad with one "shot" due to this abstraction.

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Regards

Jim R.

Yep. I've actually seen a sharpshooter kill as many as 3 men (all but one man in a Platoon HQ) in one 'shot'.

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Regards

Jim R.

Yep. I've actually seen a sharpshooter kill as many as 3 men (all but one man in a Platoon HQ) in one 'shot'.