Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

German Cemeteries

I know this may seem morbid, but I like to keep the human element "real" as I play these simulations:

German troops who died in the invasion of the Soviet Union. Were they generally buried in place, or were they transported back to their country? (I would ask about the Soviet Union troops, but I would guess, perhaps incorrectly, their system was less orderly)

If I went to Germany today, what would be the largest WW-2 cemetery. I was quite affected by the Normandy Allied/German cemeteries (no romantisation here). But thinking about it, those are incredibly tiny compared to what must have been necessary in the East.

By the time the war turned badly for Germany, most of the KIAs in Russia were either buried in mass graves, or left where they lay if it was due to surrender in Russia. Novgorod was one of the bigger ones in Russia. Many thousands of German soldiers did not even receive proper burials in places such as Stalingrad Most of the soldiers who died there(Stalingrad) in the days after surrender, are buried there however. Of course this is Volgograd today.. The organization responsible for the care of German war graves primarily is the Volksbund, who I believe have a website or perhaps more than one that can show many of the cemeteries you are referring to.

edit: http://www.volksbund.de/kgs/ The site is in German, but fairly understandable probably even if you do not speak..the map is interactive, and clicking on it will bring up a zoom in to the region, and clicking on that will zoom to the country.

[ April 15, 2008, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: abneo3sierra ]