A couple of higgeldy piggeldy questions......

1. Hq Units .

What's the best way to use them ? Should they take part into the head to head fight or preferably stay hidden and just command until squads are dying ..?

2. Panzer IV H vs SU-100

Playing with the russians 1945 , around 600 meters from targets , Panzers trying to smoke ( area fire wtf ?.to back off )?

3. Smoking the attacker .

Between the advancing infantry and the overwatching units

Is that a valid tactic ( for a couple of rounds by definition ) or inefficient ?

4. Assaulting a Sturmkompanie .

So many MG's , so few targets , how do you achieve that objective ?

Thanks to you all .

Hi Sebastien,

Some answers

1. Best use for HQ is to have them command the squads - ie have them "in command" (red line to the units), which give them bonuses according to the HQ abilities (ie Combat+1 etc.). They should stay somewhere behind, in cover, and can then rally panicked or routing units. HQ don't have much firepower and are costly, so aren't very effective in battle.

2. The PzIV is afraid of being brewed up, so it spouts smoke and backup ! The 100mm gun easily tears the Panzer apart, and the Pz' 75 gun has not a big chance (even more like 0...) to get through the SU-100 armor from front. Try flanking it, as it's a non turreted AFV.

3. What's a good tactic with smoke is to blind the defenders to allow your attacking units to get close, where they'll put to advantage their usually superior firepower. But I don't see the point of putting smoke between your advancing squads and their overwatching units - it let the point units unsupported while moving, a serious problem !

4. Not sure about what's your question - you mean a SturmKompanie has not enough MGs ? Sure, they're not supposed to do long range fighting, but blast enemies defensive positions from close.

"So many targets" ? You mean the SK have many small squads (6-7 men) ? That's rather an advantage, as you have more teams to maneuver or fire. Think of it has being "free" half squads of a 13-men squad, without the penalties.

And note that more targets means enemy firepower will have to be split, and overall be less effective.

Hope it helps !

Pascal ,

Thanks a lot for your answers .

1&2 make sense , although I thought the PZ IVH's gun could penetrate that kind of armor ( 75mm/50°), I was wrong smile.gif

About question 3 , I meant when I play as the defender , laying smoke between HIS advancing units and HIS overwatching units , let's say to temporarily put the forward units in a very difficult position but is it worth it ?

Question 4 was attacking with the Russians AGAINST a sturmkompanie , I found that particularly difficult , a regular Sturmkompanie costs less than 1000 points . For that the german gets

1x Company of Sturmgruppe inf.

6x PAK40(!)

2 MG-42

6x light MG-42

2x 81mm mortars

A true bargain !!!

Thanks again for your time and your explanations .

[ May 08, 2008, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: SebastienL ]

Thanks for the explanations, indeed I was off ;)

For 3 : well, the defensive smoke makes sense in this case to isolate enemy fore troops, but beware of putting it very near of the overwatching troops, lest them else advance themselves under cover !

Q4 : for 1000 pt you get only 9 (big) squads, and 6 Pak are not often that useful. A good choice if facing a T34 rush, but else you may be better off with a PzGr Kp, only costs 600 pts, has a good firepower with LMGx2 squads also, 4 MGs, and 4 Schrecks.

OTOH a simple Fusilier Bn is only 1300 pts, has 27 squads, 10 MG and even 2 Mtr spotters - but lacks AT punch.

Originally posted by Pascal DI FOLCO:

Thanks for the explanations, indeed I was off ;)

For 3 : well, the defensive smoke makes sense in this case to isolate enemy fore troops, but beware of putting it very near of the overwatching troops, lest them else advance themselves under cover !

Q4 : for 1000 pt you get only 9 (big) squads, and 6 Pak are not often that useful. A good choice if facing a T34 rush, but else you may be better off with a PzGr Kp, only costs 600 pts, has a good firepower with LMGx2 squads also, 4 MGs, and 4 Schrecks.

OTOH a simple Fusilier Bn is only 1300 pts, has 27 squads, 10 MG and even 2 Mtr spotters - but lacks AT punch.

Very good points . Thanks a lot !!!!!!!!