Armor speed on terrain- analysis- help?

Okay,

I think I analyze this game more than I play it. Actually I'm sure of it. I was running different vehicles to see how they are affected by terrain. So far I am only working on very dry grass (with a few controls done on pavement.)

DOES ANYONE *KNOW* WHAT MECHANISM DETERMINES A VEHILCE'S SPEED ON X TERRAIN?

Granted there could be slight variations in my times, but I took an average speed of five vehicles of 14 different models from the time they crossed a line at full speed to the time they crossed another line 100m later (no turns, flat open ground). Trying to determine the equation for how the speed is determined on dry grass I graphed ground pressure to speed (speed is the y on all of these graphs) as it seemed to correlate. It did, but we had some definate outliers such at the Panther A, T-34, BT-2, and Bren Carrier - these were much faster than it's ground pressure should have been if that was the only factor.

Suspecting that max speed was certainly involved I graphed that. I was not surprised to find a definite correlation, and that it was not a perfect line.

Next I graphed all 14 vehicles on Max Speed/Ground Pressure to recorded speed. This seemed to make sense in my head. The graph was pretty straight, but had distinct outliers such as the Elefant (slow for numbers) and the Soviet vehicles (fast for numbers).

Just checking I graphed Power to weight ratio. Correlation, of course, but the BT-2 threw this totally out the window with it's huge P/W ratio.

I went back and graphed Ground Presure / Max Speed just to get a different perspective. This gave me the best graph thus far, but again, the Soviet vehicles were a little too fast for their numbers.

DOES CMBB ASSIGN ARMOR AN 'OFF ROAD RATING' LIKE WHEELED VEHCILES AND NOT PUBLISH IT? I mean obviously a T-34 would have a faster chassis than a PzIV all else the same. I've been working on this for two days and have really thought this over and can come up with no other solution.

Help! :confused:

Mike

There was a BIIIG discussion here a few years back about "Mean Maximum Pressure" - which is apparently a more meaningful measure of "flotation" than "nominal ground pressure" - which is what is usually quoted.

There's a little mention of it at http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=011568;p=2

and http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=011539

Thanks, rather than bogging, I was asking about speed- but this does help a lot with my other posts. Does the 1.03 patch take the MMP into account? I noticed that 'ground pressure' was not always a direct correlation to weight/ track size.

Oh, I get it, the MMP may be what off road speed is based off of, maybe times a constant for each terrain type?

Mike

[ April 26, 2006, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: ww2steel ]