Trench cover too little?

I played a defensive QB against the AI and was rather suprised at the ease with which tanks were able to blast out my infantry that was given hide orders in trenches. Infantry crouching down in a trench should be quite difficult to hurt by direct fire artillery, indeed this was what prompted mortars to return to the battlefield in WW1 (I believe the infantry gun was mainly for taking out machine gun positions and laying down smoke and chemicals). The big caveat there is that elevation might give you the ability to lob and hit the back wall of the trench and in this QB I played the AI's KVs did have some elevation over my position. Does the game calculate a tank or gun's ability to sight into a trench?

What ange are you talking about?

At short range (eg 250m or less) with a bit of elevation hitting the back wall of a trench with a shell is a trivial exercise - moer so if the tank is under no fire itself.

And so the infantry gets to cower in its own pre-prepaerd grave.

sorry for the graphic imagery, but that's what it amounts to.

Trenches are good for protection from surface bursts all around them, but if anyone gets into position to fire into them then they are death traps, with no exits and no cover.

Originally posted by Mike:

What ange are you talking about?

At short range (eg 250m or less) with a bit of elevation hitting the back wall of a trench with a shell is a trivial exercise - moer so if the tank is under no fire itself.

And so the infantry gets to cower in its own pre-prepaerd grave.

sorry for the graphic imagery, but that's what it amounts to.

Trenches are good for protection from surface bursts all around them, but if anyone gets into position to fire into them then they are death traps, with no exits and no cover.

It was roughly 150-200m.

No arguments here over the death trap a trench becomes once men are forced to cower in them, as you are no longer pumping out the suppresive fire that prevents an assault.

The main thing trenches protect agaisnt is small arms fire - not artillery.

the obviously do offer some protectin agaisnt shell fragments and shrapnel, but a direct hit by an explsive shell on a parapet or wall is going to do some damage.

I find the best way to use trenches is in cover that stops them being shot at by tanks - eg in woods - they offer a huge defensive boost vs infantry in the open who stumble across them, and the enemy armour doesn't get to intervene! smile.gif

Originally posted by Mike:

The main thing trenches protect agaisnt is small arms fire - not artillery.

the obviously do offer some protectin agaisnt shell fragments and shrapnel, but a direct hit by an explsive shell on a parapet or wall is going to do some damage.

I find the best way to use trenches is in cover that stops them being shot at by tanks - eg in woods - they offer a huge defensive boost vs infantry in the open who stumble across them, and the enemy armour doesn't get to intervene! smile.gif

If you run trenches through woods, how much better protected are the men against treebursts?