Reinstalling CMBB and Mods

I had a series of crashes last week, which started while I was running CM (under Windows XP home edition w/ latest patches). After doing some maintenance and a System Restore, my system is acting pretty normal, except CMBB sometimes runs herky-jerky: intro music skips, game sometimes hangs up for several minutes while loading or saving turns, map scroll is jerky when it used to be smooth.

I am going to reinstall CM to see if that clears things up, but I have a question about the mods: Reinstalling my non-CMMOS mods will be ok as I have backups and etc. But should I revert all my CMMOS mods to defaults before reinstalling CM? I'm thinking that if I don't, CMMOS may think that the reinstalled defaults are actually mods? If I should revert to defaults, any suggestions how to do it quickly and easily? With many mods it is not clear (to me) whether they are currently installed or not.

Any other potential hangups I should be aware of?