Map making in 3D...a new feature to be wished for!

Forgive me if I'm ignorant...perhaps CMBB provides this and I don't know, but....

I find designing maps for scenarios in CMBO a real pain, as I have to jump from an 'abstract' top down map view to the 3D preview so that I can actually develop of decent sense of the terrain. I find this a really curious oversight (to my mind) in the game design.

Here is the best intuitive wargame I know (hence my addiction), but the design features aren't intuitive. I can't design a map entirely in 3D! In 3D view, I can't raise hills, situate houses or fields or woods, run roads hither and thither. Instead I have to do it in the abstract, and then (time consumingly) check if I got the effect I wanted in 3D preview, then step out to make the next change, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Threre was a recent thread of what could make CMAK or CMX2 new: well, a map design process that stays in the 3D mode in which the game is played would be a feature I'd really like to see. Or has someone already thought that up and done it?? *blush*