REQ: Where can i get symbols/legends on Units ?

Hi,

i find myself sketching maps of some of the current PBEM games during boring office meetings. Is there such a thing as a universal Symbols of tanks, MGs etc or is each army different in the representation ?

Any URL to guide me to where I can find the symbols for the German/Russian armies ?

thanks !

[ July 13, 2003, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: laxx ]

Here is current US Common Warfighting Symbology from Defense Information Systems Agency. It is a collection of .pdf files.

As for period symbols, some are similar. You can find some in the War Department's Handbook on German Forces available in three parts from the MHI Digital Library.

I don't have any info for period USSR or German symbology, but a search through the Internet (perhaps Feldgrau?) might yield fruit. If you find something, please post the link here, I'd be interested to add to my bookmarks.

Note also that there is a difference in symbology of individual pieces of equipment, as might be found on a small scale map (appropriate for CM) and on a map showing divisional (e.g.) size units.

You were on the right track with Feldgrau.

Narrative on the German system of map symbols.

German Tactical Symols, as of 1939.

There are other map-symbol sets around, including a fairly comprehensive one from later in the war, but I can't find it right now.

Another option would be to trot over to the CMMC2 website and download the latest version of CoCaT. It has complete symbol sets for the Russians and the Germans,each in their native format.

Regards

JonS