Where are the mod compilations?

I was just curious why no one seems to have compiled any huge high-res texture and vehicle packs for the Combat Mission games. Everything I've seen has been bits and pieces.

It's interesting to examine the modification style of old games. With some, there is a single group of dedicated developers that want to release an unofficial patch or texture pack to improve an old classic. With games like Jagged Alliance 2, System Shock 2, etc. there are 2 or 3 "main" mods to install that overhaul the game significantly, and for most people, that is all they'll ever need.

Other times there is a very distributed mod scene but a few mega packs will show up. Morrowind is a good example of this. There are niche mods that improve all the tableware in the game, but I also have one pack for high-resolution trees and one for all major game textures.

Then we have Combat Mission, where it seems like you have to download a hundred little alterations -- a new Sherman here, some snow textures there, a better pine tree, etc. The advantage is you get to customize the game how you want, but it's somewhat disappointing for a new player such as myself who just wants to take an hour or two to modernize the game and get playing without having to wade through huge databases. Most of the mod advice is "look for things by mod authors ABC and XYZ." If it's a frequently asked question, why not compile some popular mods and throw them together in one installation? Is it because the authors don't want their work dumped in with other things, or is it just the style of this community?

Your thoughts?

I would say that it very much comes down to invidividual taste and desire. I spent a good deal of time in the past tweaking and testing terrains and in making gridded terrains for some people.

But to sit down and put together an "uber" mod that converted all of the mods in some fashion - I see this and an impossible task. How do you choose between to variants of the same vehicle? Do you arrange be designer, date, front, etc. Some people are passionate about only some things, and are happy to leave other things "stock" simply so as to not burden their system with things that don't matter to them.

Not to mention the sheer size of the final file. I shudder to think of uploading or downloading that monster - and then only to have people start in on the "why did you choose this, why did you not include that, etc."

I have many CDs full of mods for CMBO, CMBB and CMAK. I organize and fiddle here and there, especially since I have returned to the game in a serious way.

I really think that these games and the way they are modded are very much to the individual taste, and that make the assembly of a unified mod very unlikely.

Edited because I was being a pompous a##. I apologise.

[ June 17, 2008, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Major SNAFU ]

I have found a few compilations, such as on combatmission.com, that do a few things that I'm interested in. Higher res textures for the main land and building types, and some high-res versions of the big super tanks.

I think that's all I really need, and it seems like something that the community could run with. Point new players to a website with a few of the popular mod packs that have easy-to-view pictures for comparison. They can quickly decide which one they like, download it, and be on their way.

I don't know how many other people will be approaching the game looking for something like this, but I've noticed that in other genres, individuals will load up an old game they used to have fun with and ask for a few good mods and patches to improve the game a bit. That usually happens when the game has had some time to mature.

Again, don't know if this will happen, but something for the community to keep an eye out for.

The norm is to 'mod as you go'. It's actually kinda fun IMO. Seeing the default graphics in a battle and then searching CMMODs to see whats available. I also like doing side-by-side BMP comparisons, especially with possible markings options.

Also, if you feel like doing some reading/research, just search the CMBB/AK forums with "mod packs" or "best mods". Theres been alot of talk about the must-have mods.