Noob's Question...

Hi everyone, as a lawstudent, I don't really have much time to play this wonderful game during the school year. However, since I'm on summer break, I've been playing it religiously. I'm having extreme difficulty winning "Death Ride of the Panzers." In fact, as the Germans, I haven't won it yet. Can anyone provide me with some tactics? I normally move my armor around the left (to hide among the trees). I've found that taking the road on the right is suicide. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks. PS: I play with extreme fog, and no bonuses either way.

Best tactic for any armor action in built-up areas I can offer is to use the "Covered Arc" commands to have tanks in a platoon point their turrets in different directions. Normally, the lead tank takes the front 90 deg., the next tank takes 90 deg. to one side, the next 90 deg. to the other side and the last tank the rear. They will keep their turrets pointed to the CA even when moving. This helps both spotting and response time for off-axis threats, especially with slow- or very slow-turreted tanks.

Of course, it is no help at all for TDs and StuGs! :D

SPOILER ALERT!

First time, I got massacred... it was not a pretty sight. It started out as "Cool! Look at all the big toys!" It ended like "Damn, look at all the big fires!" It seemed like every corner hid one of those *@#%! Russian things.

Second time, I got out of it with 5 losses, although there were a number of times I was very thankful for the thick armor. The keys for me were

</font>

• Multiple Overwatchers (3-4 of them) for each moving group</font>
  • Movement in groups of 3 or 4 with overlapping covered arcs, absolutely no-one went anywhere by himself</font>
  • Gang-tackle each Russian tank as it was encountered</font>
  • Disciplined covered arc usage on everyone, often adjusting arcs each turn</font>

It was quite satifying to manage 3-1 local odds or better. Oh, and don't be afraid to do a little urban renovation if you feel the need. I got two of them that way.

Great scenario, even when it crushes your heart the first time...