MOD confusion (CMMOS, MCMMM)

Bought CMBB as it came out (loved CMBO) - but havent had (much) the time to play it.

Decided to sit down tonight and have a go, and DL some Mods.

Went to CMHQ, installed CMMOS and DL Mods.

Not sure if I got it all working...

Anyway, then I noticed there hadn't been an update since may(?)...

Discovered the MCMMM and the cmods.com-site.

*CMMOS and MCMMM are not "compatible"... soooo, which one should I use?

*Guess MCMMM is best as new mods doesnt "belong to" any rule-sets (which is vital for CMMOS?)

*Can I use both progs "on top of each other", or will that create havoc?

*Guess I can just copy over all the CMMOS mods I DL, and copy em to my MCMMM-mod directory...?

(edit - just tried that^...and MCMMM doesnt seem to find the zipped CMMOS mods - does that mean I HAVE to use CMMOS to use "older"/CMMOS mods?)

OK; was quite confused, but think I understand more of it as I wrote this post ;) ...

...and the conclusion is to use MCMMM...?

[ October 28, 2003, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Buzzer ]

Yes a tricky one. You can download mods from CMHQ and use them with McMMM but you would have to remove all the extensions to the bmp number first - an extemely lengthy and boring task but lots of people have done it.

About 2 months ago I would have said McMMM had to be the one because of the HUGE number of non-CMMOS mods at cmmods.com. But the HD crash wiped them out and currently the choice there is far more limited than it was before.

So what do I recommend? Dunno smile.gif But I do use McMMM and don't use CMMOS (except an old version with CMBO).

Buzzer.

*CMMOS and MCMMM are not "compatible"... soooo, which one should I use?

... Non CMMOS mods are not compatible with CMMOS, however McMMM can handle CMMOS mods as easily as any other mod.

Limey.

You can download mods from CMHQ and use them with McMMM but you would have to remove all the extensions to the bmp number first - an extemely lengthy and boring task but lots of people have done it.

.........Not actually true. In McMMM, just select the CMMOS mod and the program will do all those 'lengthy and boring tasks' for you. It will also re-pack the bmp's into another zip file and label it exCMMOS_modname. You can then either backup or delete the original CMMOS mod.

massimorocca.

Another question from an old Cmmoser now migrating to the new tool. I can store my mods in Cd abd tell the program to extract' em directly from the Cd, to spare the hard disk's space
I never tried that when testing McMMM, but I very much doubt you could, as McMMM creates a few files in your chosen mod directory. It needs these files to track what bmps have been overwritten

Overall : I'd certainly use McMMM. It can handle CMMOS and NON-CMMOS mods with ease. It doesnt need any confusing filesets, nor does it need the mod author (or 3rd party) to convert the mod to make it 'compatible'.

Oh and a big bonus is that it can support CMBO / CMBB and CMAK all from one interface..

I know GreenAsJade is currently working on adding more features.

Any more questions ... just drop a line and I'll see if I can help .....

And for those of you using McMMM ... how about giving GreenAsJade some feedback on its use/features ;)

Thanks for the info gents!

Just deleted all the CMMOS files i DL... not a good move then...

Anyway, had some slight problems with MCMMM; where, for instance, a PZ38(T)E had some "un-used" bmp(s) (white area) on the top of the turret.

Could this happen if I install a "full" PZ38 mod and then install a single mod for the PZ38(T)E on top of this already modified mod? (or how I should describe it...?! ;) )

ieI should uninstall the full-PZ38 mod, and then install the single PZ38(T)E mod for it to work...?

In McMMM you shouldnt need to uninstall one mod before applying another for the same type of unit.

I didnt see any similar problems when testing ... and if there was going to be a problem I dont think it would show a 'white' area on the unit.

Of course if thats what you've got then I could be wrong...... :D

If you want to send me the mods ... or links to them, then I'll give it a try and see if I can reproduce it. Otherwise if there is a genuine problem .... use the 'send bug report' option to let GaJ look into it

Lou