Problem with modelling hystorical characters

this is kind of a takeoff on the 'stugged' thread where the example of wittmann and his stug single-handedly taking out 6 of 18 t34s was brought into the discussion, which itself was more about whether the turret armor on early t34s is properly modelled in cmbb...

nonetheless it is something i've been wondering about lately. i remember the 'barkmann' scenario in cmbo... the one with the 3 panthers against the u.s. armored onslaught... there were also the 'villers bocage' scenarios, depicting wittmann in a tiger...

then in cmbb there is my own 'nogai steppe' which attempts to depict one of the lssah stugs in the scenario is being "wittmann's" ... an elite stug B in 1941...

of course there are probably other scenarios which do this as well...

to get to the point... i think that trying to portray hystorical figures in a cmbb scenario is probably a 'sub-optimal' thing to do... it may be difficult for me to explain why but i'll give it a go:

say you have an 'hystorical tank ace' in 'real life' but he hasn't seen one of his famous actions yet. what is it that distinguishes him from his peers or his foes? perhaps nothing in particular.

it is only after the fact of the 'famous action' that the 'tank ace' has gained his fame. in other words, he may not have been 'elite' going in but he 'fortunes of war' smiled upon he and his crew that day and thus the legend was born.

what i'm trying to say is that, in cmbb it might be better to name the 'famous tank ace' AFTER the action fought and not before. in my experience, naming one's units after hystorical figures will usually lead to ahystorical outcomes.

in other words, when all of the virtual dust has settled on the cmbb battlefield, one can look at the best of - say an ss stug company in 1941 - and pronounce, 'that must have been wittman'

as an aside, i realized last night that 2 of the 5 stugs in the 'nogai steppe' scenario are named 'wittmann' - one 'elite' (the one i named) and one 'veteran' (an accident); then it occurred to me that another approach would be to name all 5 of them 'wittmann' and then after the battle, crown one of the 5 'the real wittmann'

does this make any sense?

thanks for letting me share

Originally posted by manchildstein II:

say you have an 'hystorical tank ace' in 'real life' but he hasn't seen one of his famous actions yet. what is it that distinguishes him from his peers or his foes? perhaps nothing in particular.

You know what happens to an 'hystorical' tank ace after too many close calls? He becomes an 'hysterical' tank Ace smile.gif

[ January 11, 2003, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Canon ]