dugfromthearth, question for you...

well I have never been in the military.

My history interest has always been the rise and fall of nations and ancient military history.

My particular thesis for ancient military history is that after the invention of cavalry to replace chariots (and iron weapons) and until the invention of the socket bayonet, there were no technological advances in military technology and tactics, just changes. Even after that the same basic unit types and tactics remain: infantry, cavalry, missile.

Military history follows a few basic cycles of tactics. The key is figuring out where you are in the cycles. A tactic is recognized as useful and incorporated into doctrine. It will remain doctrine even when it is no longer useful until it is shown to be detrimental. So you have to not just do what was considered to be "the thing to do" at the time, but consider why it was done and if it was really useful or just a holdover from a bygone era.

So in a sense I have strong interest in adaptive military tactics. I have read The Art of Maneuver by Robert Leonhard which is very good at describing and giving name to ideas for maneuver warfare (although he has a pro-German anti-Russian bias that colors his views and he is advocating a particular style so he is not as impartial as I would like). I have played several war games, but actually very few compared to probably any typical board member (say 3 games of Squad Leader, Europa a few times, etc).

The tactics I use in Combat Missions did evolve a bit during play (particularly mortar use) but are mainly just basic WWII doctrine as far as I know and an analysis of point costs.

My particular bias is that I want to win boldly and cleverly. It is not a good trait - I never won a game of Steel Panthers against my friend because I could simply not accept that the way to win was to mass tanks and rush at full speed to the objective. I tried clever ways to win and always got crushed.

I arrange my armies like ancient or medieval armies. I like the model of Gustavus Adolphus - units are organized for effect. I want each unit to have one effect, not to have generalized units. A unit absorbs damage, inflicts infantry damage, inflicts armor damage, or spots. I don't want a unit that does all at once.

For me the key is the maneuver theory doctrine that I am always looking to get the effect I want. Effect does not necessarily equal killing. It could be locating the enemy, fixing their position, or killing them. Or bypassing them once I know their location.

But really, I'm just an armchair general with a few books on theory and a couple of thousand years of examples.

That's why I gave very basic tactics. I am a strong believer that battles are typically won by the general tactics employed. But very good micro-tactics can still carry the day. And my micro-tactics are not very refined.

Very impressive. Sounds like you should be teaching at a War College somewhere.

Your description of battle with your friend brings up a good point. Sound tactics lost to sheer madness is sounds like. From your post I take it you know how to deploy your forces. I find it hard to believe you cant beat that tactic though. Unless, you didnt have any tanks and very few AT teams to counter with. Your friend is just "Gaming the game".

From what I know, tactics like your friend employs have worked in the past in real life but, not very often. I would like to take a stab at you and your buddy in a quick game and see what happens.

I'm by no means a Gen. Patton or Schwarztkopf (spelling ?) but I did learn a few things in the military. I've been dicking around with the tutorial for the past 2 weeks and have managed to beat every scenario playing both sides several times. I just received the full versions of CMBB and AK today and cant wait to play the full version. Give me a shout if your friend is up to it. CYA