Where there's smoke there's fire?

I saw a program on TV (or read about it, can't quite remember) about the battle for the bridge at Arnhem and a British soldier recounted how the German tanks had fired smoke rounds into the building they were holed up in to set fire to it. Apparently the German smoke rounds were white phosphorous which is highly incendiary. Do smoke rounds ever start fires in CMBB (or CMBO for that matter)? I don't think I've seen this happen.

SD

I made a test (CMBO). 10 81mm FOs firing a smoke mission on a TRP in a wood, July 44, very dry, clear weather, 150 smoke rounds each. I tried it several times, no fire started, though with HE it did.

Tried the same thing but with a wheat field, no fire (HE started a lot of fires).

Fired with 5 Hummel, 10 smoke each, on a wheat field and at houses and in houses, no fire.

Therefore I'm quite ceratin that smoke doesn't provoke fires in CMBO. Can't test it with CMBB though.

[ March 19, 2003, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: moneymaxx ]

I think that it is stated in the manual that the incendiary effect of white phosphorus is not modelled as this would lead to ahistorical use.

I really think that there should be a difference modelled between smoke shell types, as WP puts up an almost instant screen, whereas base bleed (which seems to be the model used in CM) needs time to build

[Edited because: My typing skills sukc]

[ March 20, 2003, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: flamingknives ]