Newbie with a bunch of questions.

Ok so I am not a total neophyte! smile.gif I played some CBM 1 awhile ago with a friend. I am an old school wargamer(squad leader-cross of iron). And I saw this on a shelf at a hastings here in New Mexico (I have figured out its this CDV company thing). Anyways I am completly addicted after two nights and have a bunch of questions.

1) How do you find people to play with in multiplayer, it looks like there is no game lobby place, do people use anything as a lobby?

2) I am playing the blitzkrieg operation.

a) why are there no victory flags is this something to do with operations? How will I know when the first battle is over?

3) I can't move my tanks without them getting HAMMERED by AT guns that I can't even see. What is the best strategy. I have started moving my infantry up a little more effectively after a restart and this is helping but it's still extremly danegerous to move my tanks from cover.

4) Whats the best use for the covering fire arcs?

5) Contact movement makes sense in the manual but seems to perform kinda strange (some units won't even move). Whats the best way to use it.

6) Eleveation is a real problem can I toggle something so I can better see why elevation is messing up my line of sight? Any other suggestions?

7) Mortars and spotters how do I use em effectively?

I probably have 20 more questions but I'll leave it at that. I have finished about 1/2 of the manual (and skimming it fully) so forgive me before hand for sounding ignorant. I know to search the forums and such just I am on a limited schedule (work) and was hoping to get some answers for tonight:)!

Thanks guys!

3) I can't move my tanks without them getting HAMMERED by AT guns that I can't even see. What is the best strategy. I have started moving my infantry up a little more effectively after a restart and this is helping but it's still extremly danegerous to move my tanks from cover.

That's what Armored cars are for :D

On a serious note. You should keep you tanks in cover until you have found the enemys main line of resistance. Recon units goes first, then the infantry, and the tanks last.

Also feel free to drop either smoke or lots of arty on suspected enemy AT gun positions. Failing that. On map Mortors and HMGs make for good AT suppression. Not to mention heavy assault guns like the German STUH or Soviet ISU-122.

Originally posted by Jam3:

Ok so I am not a total neophyte! smile.gif I played some CBM 1 awhile ago with a friend. I am an old school wargamer(squad leader-cross of iron). And I saw this on a shelf at a hastings here in New Mexico (I have figured out its this CDV company thing). Anyways I am completly addicted after two nights and have a bunch of questions.

1) How do you find people to play with in multiplayer, it looks like there is no game lobby place, do people use anything as a lobby?

2) I am playing the blitzkrieg operation.

a) why are there no victory flags is this something to do with operations? How will I know when the first battle is over?

4) Whats the best use for the covering fire arcs?

5) Contact movement makes sense in the manual but seems to perform kinda strange (some units won't even move). Whats the best way to use it.

6) Eleveation is a real problem can I toggle something so I can better see why elevation is messing up my line of sight? Any other suggestions?

7) Mortars and spotters how do I use em effectively?

I probably have 20 more questions but I'll leave it at that. I have finished about 1/2 of the manual (and skimming it fully) so forgive me before hand for sounding ignorant. I know to search the forums and such just I am on a limited schedule (work) and was hoping to get some answers for tonight:)!

Thanks guys!

This is what makes this game great.Its very realistic,use real life common sense.

For mulitplayer scroll down the opening forum page and you'll see your options.

Down at the bottom of the opening forum page you have access to old forum posts dating back to '99.Now i know they apply to CMBO,but most if not all the info can be applied to CMBB.If not,there is a search feature that will lead you to more info than you could read/absorb in a year :eek:

Operations have no victory flags,advance across them as fast and/or far as possible.When the number of turns run out a "battle" is over,then you start the next battle.

Move to contact is tricky,if your unit see's and i think hears anything they stop.

During a game hit the "hotkeys" buton and it will tell you your option for toggling things on/off.

Finally,a word of advise,most of the questions are on this forum somewhere,search for them.If you dont and post away,you either wont get answered or someone will tell you to do a search.

Ps,

You think your hooked now,wait till you learn more,it will add to the emersion level big time. ;)