Announcing RobO's Quick Campaign!

I did a little searching and couldn't find a very good answer to just how random the QB random settings are. Does anyone know for sure if the "random" settings for temperature, weather, etc. adjust to the month and year? I'm wondering if in a campaign you can just trust the random settings to give you a reasonable setting or if you will get hot, dry battles in January or snow in the summer.

Originally posted by DaffyDuck:

I did a little searching and couldn't find a very good answer to just how random the QB random settings are. Does anyone know for sure if the "random" settings for temperature, weather, etc. adjust to the month and year? I'm wondering if in a campaign you can just trust the random settings to give you a reasonable setting or if you will get hot, dry battles in January or snow in the summer.

I did a search too before deciding to go with the QB settings. I also posted a question but didn't get any response. The search told me that there has been problems with the weather settings, but they have apparently been patched. I have not seen any apparent problems with the weather in the games I have set up.

I am more worried about the other settings. I suspect that terrain is based on region only, not month and year (i.e does not take the progress of the frontline into account). And I'm unsure how casualty and fitness is randomized. Same goes for force selection. I recently got a Soviet Naval force in the southern region in June 1941. I'm not sure how appropriate that is - perhaps they were located around Odessa.

The problem is that providing appropriate tables for rolling up these values would require a lot of information and expand the rules considerably. I try to go for simplicity whenever possible.

Yeah, I like simplicity. But I do like thinking I'm seeing realistic scenes as I progress. I was toying with the idea of using Biltong's rolls for some of those parameters, but if the random setting gives you accurate weather then that's just another step I don't have to take manually.

I don't want simplicity at all costs, it is obviously a tradeoff. But I have made simplicity a major goal for this campaign, and I try to go for it if possible. There are so many ways you can add complexity to a campaign like this, they all take up time and don't all add a lot of value.

I think the QB generator randomness will work reasonably well, though I'm sure it could be improved. This is a game feature after all, it is the kind of battle you get if you do a random QB at a specific date and region.

Testing is probably the best way to check it, and that takes a good deal of time.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for the record, though I gather that the amount of interest for this is currently limited:

ROQC is in a somewhat different state than the one posted on the download site - I found a need to refine it and straighten it our. Drop me an email if you want an updated copy, stating your preferred file format.

I'm currently testing the rules, which takes some time as I don't have all that much playing time at the moment. I'll get an updated version out as soon as I'm satisfied with the quality.

• 2 months later...

Hi Rob

You should contact slapdragon or Mannheim tanker and ask them how they run their Onion war campaign.

After some modifications we are now doing part 4 of this and its really fun.

Those guys can give you all sort of advice in creating battles and how to do the administrational stuff regarding the units

henk