Newbie needs help

Hi Folks,

I have palyed the demos and the game is great.

However, I am really only interested in tank battles and wanted to set up some of my own scenarios.

Could you folks let me know if the editor is easy to use and if I will be able to create mainly tank battles with some parameters and configurations to my own liking ??

Thanks - jg1234

Could you folks let me know if the editor is easy to use and if I will be able to create mainly tank battles with some parameters and configurations to my own liking ??
Yes, you can "create mainly tank battles with some parameters and configurations to my own liking". The quick battle option and the scenario editor allow you to configure until your eyeballs glaze over & fall out. ;)

Also, there are a jillion scenarios available at numerous CM related web sites. Others will follow me and give you more details.

Buy all the CMs. However, for a bit more accuracy, buy CMBB & CMAK.

They are not perfect. However, without doubt, they are the best wargames ever produced on board or on computer. smile.gif

Cheers, Richard :cool:

Thanks ,

I appreciate the information. One last question. Given that I prefer tank battles - which CM should I get - CMBB or CMAK ??

I heard CMAK has more tank effects and smoke - does CMBB have a patch that adds that stuff ??

I was hoping to buy one or the other instead of the combo pack for 60.00

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks - jg1234

Hard choice... CMBB has the Russian tanks, T-34's, KV's, etc. which will give the German armor a real work out. Fighting only American and Commonwealth equipment is fun... but you miss so much of "the big picture."

To my knowledge, there is no patch for CMBB to add the enhancements made with CMAK.

When you start designing your own, start small. You may have already visited The Scenario Depot (site hosting most of the user made maps) and The Proving Grounds (site dedicated to playtesting and aiding scenario designers). Other good sites are around as well.

CMAK. I played CMBB for years & eventually felt it to be fundamentaly unbalanced. You'll learn to hate 80mm fronted StuG's which can't be penetrated AT ALL until the T34/85 comes along, and when it does it's ROF is & accuracy is so low you wonder why they bothered. Oh yeah - they cost less than a standard T34/76.

The battles are more epic with CMBB but CMAK is better balanced, especially for the allied player.

Playing British with the 6pdr killing everything cheap & the Achilles killing everything just feels sweet.

Check out the Valentine in Russian service, from Jan 1943 IIRC. It has the 6lbr gun which is accurate and can kill STUGs, Tigers and Panthers from the side at range. It can kill Stugs at short range head on.

My best had been just over 1000 metres rear shot on a Stug but last night in a TCP/IP I knocked out a STUG at 1584 metres : ) Very satisfying !!

BTW terrain is very important to balance battles as the German rate of fire and optics plus good guns means they will always win (almost) if the terrain is open. Unless of course you are allowed to buy aircraft : )