Always Dig In?

Does "digging in" make it easy for the enemy to spot you? I mean digging in, durring setup on defence.

Im thinking, durring setup, might as well "dig in" every guy, that way they have fox holes if they need them...

What would be the downside to that? Are the foxholes easy to spot by enemy if your guys are "hidden" in them?

I'm not sure about the game but Real Life a properly dug foxhole is usually harder to see than the same two guys just trying to hide in that same spot. If you build them right they blend into the terrain behind them. Of course whether or not the engine digs proper foxholes is beyond me. :D

[ January 15, 2003, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Sgtgoody ]

Im thinking, durring setup, might as well "dig in" every guy, that way they have fox holes if they need them...

What would be the downside to that?

If you dig in all your troops in defence and your plan involves fallback or depth defence (which is sound defensive tactics) the OPFOR can use your foxholes as you vacate/or are overwhelmed. So best not to dig too many foxholes where the may cause you a problem in the future.

Per Ardua

[ January 15, 2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Rock Ape ]

• 10 months later...

...and what about using Dig In if your boys are in terrain that doesn't accept foxholes (e.g. building). While setting up for a game, I just realised (after over a year of playing this) that the guys were given a Dig In option regardless of terrain. When I told them to Dig In to the building, they sank a little deeper...kind of like when a vehicle bogs.

I have yet to test if this gives them improved cover...maybe it's like fortifying the building?

Perhaps it's just a feature with no impact that slipped through the testing un-noticed?