Area targeting through smoke

Why isn't it possible to area target through smoke? In particular I refer to tank to tank combat as depicted in these 2 pics:

No smoke

Smoke

I realise that if area target was possible then it would be used in a gamey way and would make smoke useless. Example - if another infantry unit can spot the tank behind smoke then the player would know exactly where to put the area target. However it is equally as unreasonable that under no circumstances will a tank fire through smoke**.

One compromise could be if a smoke round is discharged during a turn then the direct target of a tank will automatically change to an "area target through smoke". The tank then will continue to fire at that spot until the player cancels the command or the TacAI deems it worthless, which will then cause "sight blocked" (like the current implementation).

What are other people's thoughts?

** I am FAR from a grog or tank warfare expert, but it would seem reasonable to me that IRL if a smoke round was shot by a tank then the other tank would fire a few rounds into the last known position in the hope of scoring a lucky shot.