Friendly Fire Isn’t

Whine alert.

Here’s the scene: QB set in 6/42, daytime, good weather. He’s got a KV1 hidden behind a crest, I’ve got two Stugs on my side of the hill. Game’s coming to an end, I control the flag on my side of the rise, so figuring he’s going to do a last turn charge to contest the flag I’m content to wait and take my shots as he comes. Not satisfied with leaving well enough alone, however, I train my 150 Inf Gun (502m away on another rise, and, significantly, behind my Stugs), on the crest and lob some HE. Who know, may get lucky and button him up. Whatever. What can it hurt?

Wellllll. The first, that’s the FIRST, shot lands 93m short (and about 10m off the direct line of fire), right beside one of my Stugs, and knocks the damn thing out! Not shocked. Not immobilised. Knocked out!!! :mad:

Yes, I’m a fool. Yes, I had (and have) no idea about the chances of short rounds, area fire radius, etc. No, I won’t lob HE over my guys anymore if they’re within 100m (at least!) of the aim point. Lesson learned and all that. Just had to come here and whine!

Originally posted by Three_Oh_Eight:

Whine alert.

(snip...)

Wellllll. The first, that’s the FIRST, shot lands 93m short (and about 10m off the direct line of fire), right beside one of my Stugs, and knocks the damn thing out! Not shocked. Not immobilised. Knocked out!!! :mad:

Yes, I’m a fool. Yes, I had (and have) no idea about the chances of short rounds, area fire radius, etc. No, I won’t lob HE over my guys anymore if they’re within 100m (at least!) of the aim point. Lesson learned and all that. Just had to come here and whine!

It may be that your problems were more a result of the know bug in version 1.02 of CMBB. Tactical AI of guns and tanks has big problems, in this version, with hitting targets behind even very small ridges. It looks that this problem is solved in version 1.02 beta.

Straif

Along the same line; have you ever noticed that you can fire arty at an enemy tank all day and do nothing but button it up, but let one of your own come within 200 meters of the area of effect and a short or long round will blow it up without fail? This has happened to me so many times I thought it was a feature.