Soviet 47th Army, 1st Belorussian Front, 1945

Hello chaps.

I'm having real problems finding out about the composition of the Soviet 47th Army in April 1945. In particular, I'm interested in identifing to which Corps the 76th and 60th Rifle Divisions were attached and obtaining a detailed OOB. A search of the WWW hasn't really yielded anything and, sadly, my own little library just hasn't got the material I need.

Could anybody help?

Also, as an aside, I don't suppose any body knows which SS unit was fighting in and around Spandau in April 1945? I have an inkling it might be 11 SS Motorised, but I'm really shooting in the dark here.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Dr. Juzzy,

Some info available from Charles C. Sharp's "Soviet Order of Battle: World War II" series. The total 12(?) volume set is available from Nafziger's web-site. Extremely well recommended if you have any interest in the subject matter. (Nafziger can be found with a simple search, or this may still be good: http://home.fuse.net/nafziger/index.html )

No luck with the 60th RD. The 76th RD is listed in Volume X, "Red Swarm", p.26.

93rd Rifle Regiment

207th Rifle Regiment

216th Rifle Regiment

80th Artillery Regiment

100th Anti-Tank Battalion

April '44 its rifle regiments were at virtually full strength, using 04/550 shtat.

Late April '44, 47th Army was transferred, and 76th RD spent last year of war in the 125th Rifle Corps in the 47th Army in the 1st Belorussion Front.

Some other bits possibly available.

Regards,

Ken

Thanks for that c3k :D .

I've consulted with Karl Bahm ('Berlin: The Final Reckoning') and he puts the composition 125th Rifle Corps as 60th, 76th amd 175th Rifle Divisions, but gives no further break down thereafter. I'm after Regiment and Battalion numbers with any other details (like COs, etc.) being a bonus, so your information is very useful - thanks.

Any more anyone else has to offer would be most welcome.

Dr Juzzy,

Info on 60th Rifle Division, from Charles C. Sharp's "Soviet Order of Battle: World War II" series, Volume IX, "Red Tide", p.11.

Formed from 1st Moscow Militia Division, 26SEP41, hence, many changes through unit history. Eventually, assigned to 47th Army, usually operating under 125th Rifle Corps HQ. (It was reconstited/rebuilt at least several times. Ignoring the 1st Moscow Militia Division period, by 22FEB42 one of three rifle regiments was disbanded due to casualties, the other two were down to 427 men and 658 men.)

I do not know under which shtat it was operating during the timeframe you're looking at. An assumption would be the same as the 76th RD, with the same rebuild/strength level.

At the time of its formation in September of '41, the following units are listed:

1281st Rifle Regiment

1283rd Rifle Regiment

1285th Rifle Regiment

969th Artillery Regiment

696th Sapper Battalion

I would assume the rifle regiments and possibly the arty regiment remained assigned to division as it reformed under the various shtat as the war progressed.

No info for unit commanders.

I thought all Soviet units followed the same numbering scheme. Battalions numbered sequentially with regiment. Companies numbered sequentially by type.

Ken