Poor Volkssturm

The Red Army shot some of their own partisans too as not "politically correct enough for Koba.

Reading Anthony Beevor's Fall of Berlin. Pretty raw stuff, reading about the pillage and rape. Red Army shot a lot of people. Kids, women, wounded... but then they were just paying back the same treatment they had received. War is heck.

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze 71:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ichadwick:

but then they were just paying back the same treatment they had received. War is heck.

That doesn't justify it though. </font>

Reading Anthony Beevor's Fall of Berlin
I'm reeding this one too and as an added reason for payback Beevor mentions the Soviet propaganda machine (probably as effective as the Germans was), that over a 3 year period did nothing else than tell soldiers that a good German was a dead German. It also "inspired" the soldiers to treat the German population as the Germans did with the Russian.

As said in another post this certainly is no way to talk things right.

Mies

I have read Ryan's book about Berlin too and although I prefer his style of writing it becomes clear pretty fast that Beevor had access to a lot more resources. Most of the comments I heard are about the way Beevor hammers on the way Soviet soldiers treated German civilians and soldiers. This is indeed true, but once you get into the details it is as fantastic as horrific as one can get. His description of the battles south of Berling where the 9th and the 12th army's were retreating and the final battles of in Berlin leave little to the imagination.

I have also read Beevors Stalingrad book and I actually liked it. A lot of details and good views on events that went on. Maybe it's a little more written from a German point of view, but that didn't really bother me.

Mies