Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Axis: Where to after fall of France?

RommelDAK

Though I spent a chunk of yesterday catching up and reading all 23 pages of this forum, I never got a clear sense of folks' views on where the Axis should head after the fall of France. I have played it several ways, but can't make up my mind which is best. Perhaps it comes down to three choices:

1) Sealion, then face the Russians and US;

2) Grab minors close to Germany to raise MPP base, then head to Russia;

3) Try to knock the Brits out of the Mediterranean, then head to Russia (with a drive into Iraq to threaten the Soviets from both directions).

Opinions? I'm new here and I know you fellows have been spending many hours posting on this sort of thing for many months now, so I don't expect anything exhaustive. Just a "1,", "2," or "3" (or "other") would be fine! I also realize a) that there is not necessarily one best option (it depends on how you play it) and that B) it also depends on how your opponent reacts. Still, what is your preference?

Thanks very much!

Oh, I lean towards #3!

#2 if you are against a "regular" opponent, like the AI (even at +1 exp).

#3 is maybe too much time consuming, for the bonuses it grants..

#1 only if your opponent has thrown many british mpps in the battle for france.

I usually leave to Italy the quest for Africa, while with germany i chew up central and northern europe. I also saw that it works leaving norway and sweden alone, at least against AI at +1 exp (obviously against a real player you'll need a more aggressive tactic).

#2 This is my workhorse against the AI but not necessarily against human opponents:

* Germany takes Denmark after Poland then heads for Low Countries and France.

* German and Italian troops aided by minor allies take Yugoslavia after it coups, with Italy taking Belgrade.

* Germany invades Norway, builds up there, and invades Sweden. This causes only a minor increase in Soviet U. S. war readiness and leads to substantial rewards. Leave one '6' point HQ near Bergen along with 1 Luftflotte to keep the Brits from turning that port into rubble. Occupying Stockholm with a corps, keep the army used in the campaign adjacent to the port. Don't transport it till the Invasion of the USSR passes Riga, in which case it can reinforce Army Group North in a flank landing.

* If Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria have joined the Axis, the German troops that helped Italy take Yugoslavia now help her take Greece.

-- Three Italian corps, 2 in the mountains -- spread apart -- + 1 in Belgrade should keep the partisans under control.

Two German Panzers, an Italian corps and a German HQ should make their way behind the two Greek armies to attack Athens. The Italian unit occupies the city, giving Greece to Italy.

By doing it this way Italy becomes powerful enough to conquer the Mediteranean and Germany will be able to hold France and invade the USSR. While taking Malta, Egypt, Iraq and Vichy, Italy has to remember to cover itself against Allied threats to the Italian mainland --this is mainly a consideration against Human adversaries but the AI might also come with something.

Other Axis strategies also work, but I use this as the basic idea. Naturally, if the Allied player sends most of his fleet to the Mediteranean to hit Italy or Greece/Albania, etc., the Axis strategy should be altered to allow an immediate Sea Lion. But watch the War Map to see where the U. S. and USSR stand. Often their war readiness increases drastically with the fall of London.

All in all, pretty much in the spirit Piumarcobaleno's advice.

This is almost the identical idea to what Hitler and Mussolini originally agreed upon; Germany ruling the North and East, Italy ruling the Mediteranean and South. On her own Italy has problems, but I think more cooperation early on between the two Axis nations might have made Italy a lot stronger and given the Allies considerably more to deal with.

In the game I've found a strong Italy -- one that conducts extensive research and has a large fleet with good air units -- is more effective for the Axis than just lumping all the conquests into Germany, as many skilled players advocate.

[ February 10, 2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

A tip for a real newbie, being one myself...

Poland, operate to France for an early invasion. Declare war right away on Low countries prevent Allied Gambit use air and 1 tank 1 inf 1 corps walla...and take it... Then Operate everything else over to take it and Denmark.. If he retreats quickly soak up Norway and leave Sweden. Immediately dispatch Italiain corps off Canadian border but don't land and don't get too close.. Dispatch Italian fleet and hide it... and use Luftflottes and Italian fleet to overcome Suez landing on both sides. Cuttiny supply and killing. Use 2 Italian Armys and 1 italian corps and air to take out Greece earlier than suggested by Amphib. Use extra Air take Iraq... And take Vichy at the same time. Now you're awful close to going to War with Russia.. Be in position just to kill it's frontline Armies. Don't worry about all out invasion.

From there Invade Sweden and or Spain and land on Canada if he left it undefended. Then take portugal and cut off the Brits in Gibraltar...move remaining Italian fleet and enough airflottes to Atlantic to wait and destroy whatever the Western Allies have in store for you. Keep air over Norway for eyes and protection. Operate an HQ to Finland with air and German corps via sea to prevent it falling and then your producing like Hell. You've cut Britian down to size. Use your Italians and with HQs to protect Mainland fight partisans. Use your Germans to operate to Scandanavia and keep extra luftflottes to operate their and give him pain if he gets bold. Keep him worried and make up your mind what you want to do... Focus on destroying Russia...which is slow or devour both.........and be opportunistic

If the Ally is tougher, and you lose your fleet... I'm stuck there. Important to be able to take France about the time Italy enters. Important to take Denmark/Norway?possibly/Poland/Low Countries for extra air units to crack open France and kills HQ encircle and destroy early.

Invading Britian is risky, though if the Ally is overcommitted it's possible. Definitely need your Remainding German fleet in baltic though. a MUST HAVE...

if not Britian, turn on Russia with massive tech.. 3 fronts... Finland-Iraq-Russia main entrance and use air combos to slowly devour her.. stay away from the North take the Southern resources first

don't wake up the Siberians without getting something in return smile.gif

Originally posted by RommelDAK:

1) Sealion, then face the Russians and US;

2) Grab minors close to Germany to raise MPP base, then head to Russia;

3) Try to knock the Brits out of the Mediterranean, then head to Russia (with a drive into Iraq to threaten the Soviets from both directions).

I usually use a mix of #2 & #3...

#2 - Germany's job: Poland... France & Low Countries & Denmark... Yugoslavia (before the Coup)... Greece... At least 1500+ MPP in research (good chunk of my plunders go there...) so Germany has (most of the time) Level 1 or 2 in Anti-Tank, Heavy Tank, Jet Aircraft & Industrial Tech. (The MOST important, IMHO...)... Then Russia, with love... ;)

#3 - Italy's job: Group Italian Fleet and destroy UK fleet in Egypt... Keep the sub here for free Convoy damage and move the rest toward Gibraltar as soon as France as fallen... Be careful to avoid Malta...

No research or only Industrial Tech...

With 1 Army, 1 Corps, 1 HQ and 2 Aircrafts move to attack Alexandria (transport Corps on the other side of the city to cut supply)... Then, when ready (depend if all goes well on the Russian front and if "D-Day" is imminent) Vichy France... Iraq... South Russia (with a HQ supply chain)...