Allies or Conquest?

eba

Since Allies can't share MPPs, I'm wondering whether it doesn't make better sense in some cases simply to declare war and conquer Minors rather than wait for them to join as allies. The disadvantages of conquest, as I understand them, are: (1) you lose the military units that the Minor would have contributed, (2) the Minor produces MPPs at a lower rate (80%) and (3) you suffer adverse political consequences with neutrals. On the other hand, with conquest, you control all the MPPs that the Minor produces - MPPs that you can add to your own research or to build your own units, which typically are of better quality than what the Minor would produce.

What's the preference among the SC veterans?

You haven't got it quite right.

The minor allies DO contribute their MPP's directly to the pool of the major ally.

It is only the MAJOR alies that do not do so - so the USA cannot send MPP's to the UK or Russia or France, etc.

So there's not really any question - if you're sure to get eth minor ally as an ally then you do NOT want to invade it at all...ever, not even once!!

OTOH some minor allies are not certain to join - particularly Spain for the Axis, and it often gets invaded to get access to Gibralter for the ermans.

Yeah Spain is a real dilemma for me, if you take it and Vichy, Africa will get full production plus you can get the Italian fleet into the Atlantic. It also gives the Italian fleet a lot of xps but then you might not get any of the normal allies to join you. In my last game I only got Finland when my troops were at the gates of Lenningrad. :(