Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

1.08 AI Wish List - The Impossible Dream

Edwin P.

1. German Subs in North Atlantic Don't always head towards England

2. France moves overseas corps to UK controlled territory after Italy enters the war.

3. French AI will occassionaly scrap all naval and air units to finance a strong defense of France and France will evacuate units to England.

4. Axis AI will Invade Norway and Sweden - this would really go a long way in improving the Game against the Axis AI.

5. Allied AI will conquer Ireland with 1 corps.

6. Italian subs will attempt to disrupt Merchant Ships in the Med.

7. Axis AI will attack Denmark on Turn 1.

8. AI will be programmed with best strategies of Terif, Rambo, Shaka, etc.

9. AI Research Bonus Option: If Yes Axis German AI gets 2 Free Research Chits in Dec 1939, Dec 1940 and Dec 1941. If Yes UK AI gets 1 free chit in Dec 1939, Dec 1940 and Dec 1941.

10. Axis AI will launch Sea Lion if success is likely.

11. Occassionaly the Axis AI will send a corps to an undefended Canda

12. AI will be more likely to use better strategy at higher Levels - Novice(25%), Beginner(50%), Intermediate(75%), Expert (90%), Genius (100%)

[ August 23, 2003, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Good ideas provided the AI doesn't just automatically do those things. I don't know how it works, no idea whether it actually looks for answers or merely moves to try and achieve some sort of a balance. As a computer professional I'm sure you understand the AI workings much better than I do.

I'd go for anything that helps the AI play a more challenging game.

Jersey John,

I agree with everything you said.

In many respects writing a good AI is the hardest part of writing a game. Hubert said that writing the AI took about half the total time he spent on the game.

I think that in this area even a few minor (ie simple) changes would be appreciated, even if he does not have the time to add a routine for the Axis taking the Nordic Countries, the UK taking Ireland, or concentrating German Air Power on the Eastern Front (until the Allies threaten a D-Day invasion).

What's a simple change? In my opinion it would be a simple movement routine that expert players use most of the time;

Example:

1. French Corps in Beruit Moves to Guard Suez Canal after Italy enters the War (Beginner 50%, Intermediate 75%, Expert 90%)

2. After Italy enters war, UK Corps in Gibraltor moves to Suez Transit Hex so it can delay fall of Egypt and then move French Corps in Algiers to Gibraltor. (Beginner 50%, etc)

3. Move UK Carrier From Med to North Atlantic i nthe absence of an AI Naval strategy (Beginner 50%,etc.)

4. German subs in the North Altantic move to hex xxx (20%), hex xxxx (20%), hex xxxx (20%), etc. If you wanted to be devious you could have them occassionaly head to the south atlantic and hide there for a few turns before moving north again.

5. After German Forces are in France 1 or 2 French units not adjacent to Paris operate to Brest for evacuation to hexes surrounding UK city of Manchester.

[ August 23, 2003, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]