spotting units with fog of war

cyclem

Hi,

I recently started to play with fog of war <on>,

How does spotting exactly work? Is there a formula (like the supply) or does it just uses the spotting range of all your units?

How about subs? How do you detect them?

Thank for your help,

cyclem

In did a test on the spotting of subs as I was also curious about this and I couldn't find the info in the manual.

Bombers spot subs 5 hexes away. Fighters spot subs 4 hexes and carrier groups at 3 hexes. All others must be adjacent to spot subs. Hope that helps.

Originally posted by docd:

FOW uses each units spotting range, which can be seen in the purchase section. Upgrading units may increase spotting range.

I would like to see more restictions on spotting.

Right now, an infantry army can see a an army two hexes away, even if there is a continuous line of enemy ground units in between. Is this realistic? A plane can fly over enemy units and look at what is behind. But, tanks and infantry can not.

I would not allow ground units to spot over enemy ground units.

I would not apply this restriction to air and naval units.

Remember that these are very large units and should have many assets at their disposal. Do you really think a modern WW2 army of 150,000 men or a corps of 50,000 men wouldn't have spotter planes, let alone massive ammounts of tanks, artillery, etc... or even a wing or two of fighter bombers at their disposal? An "army" designation doesn't mean that it is just alot of infantrymen, but includes all the equipment to make it a effective fighting organization at the "strategic" level in WW2.

Originally posted by Fubarno:

Remember that these are very large units and should have many assets at their disposal. Do you really think a modern WW2 army of 150,000 men or a corps of 50,000 men wouldn't have spotter planes, let alone massive ammounts of tanks, artillery, etc... or even a wing or two of fighter bombers at their disposal? An "army" designation doesn't mean that it is just alot of infantrymen, but includes all the equipment to make it a effective fighting organization at the "strategic" level in WW2.

I see your point. ...learned something new, thanks.

I thought the spotting range for land units represented land patrols moving around the main body of the Army to spot nearby units.

...just for arguments sake, if armies have scout planes at their disposal, why do we limit their spotting range to two hexes?