An answer to the Great War question

Briggs

Although this will obviously not fly with the AI, as it relies on human control, it could be very interesting for PBEM.

To start off, instead of modding the game, we simply install "House Rules" of a simple, yet highly defined nature, along with a new Campaign.

Firstly, we'd obviously have to do a bit of research into the OOB and political and geographical state of Europe for 1914. It may take a while, but I'm sure that with everyone's helpwe could get it done rather quickly. And I know some of the guys here are quite handy with the Editor, as well. Kudos to them.

Next are the "House rules" so to speak, from which we will derive the main feel of the Great War. Though some people may say "No tanks until such and such a date," I feel that "No tanks till tech level X is reached." I feel it's quite a bit more realistic to force the player to invent tanks than to have them handed to them in 1917. We'll say...No tanks until you get Heavy Tanks level 5. When you DO get these monsters of battle, feel free to unleash them where you please.

Along with tanks, there are Aeroplanes. At the start of the war, they were more scouts than fighters. 1915 saw the infancy of Airial Combat, and 1916 saw it blossom. If we say that all countries start with a Jet Tech. of 0, then all countries will be forced to limit all of their aircraft to Scouting operations; that is flying their aircraft to points on the map to spot enemy units, but are not allowed to attack. When a country gains jet tech 1, it is permitted to attack enemy units. At jet tech 2, they may build bombers, and at jet tech 3, fighters are allowed to strategic bomb. Jet tech. will max out at 3. Countries will not be allowed to pursue Jet technology after gaining level 3. Also, no long range air technology is permitted.

Rockets for this mod shall pose as the Artillery. I had originaly planned on having a maximum of 2 for rocket technology, but the range was just too obscene. I think it would be good to cap the Rocket technology off at 1. Everyone (With the exception of Germany) will be starting off with a tech of 0.

Sub tech will cap off at 4 for Germany, and 1 for everyone else. Germans will start with a sub tech of 2. All countries will have a Sonar tech of 0, capping at 2. Aircraft carriers are not allowed.

Anti-Aircraft technology and Gun Laying radar are both suspended.

Infantry technology will be two stage. Limited to 3 in the begining so as not to be such a hinderance to tanks, once your oponent enters tanks in, you are free to update to level 4.

I am at ends as to industrial technology though. I think limiting it to maybe 2 or 3 would be acceptable.

Also I have no idea how to get rid of the Maginot! Help would be appreciated.

I'm sure with a bit of team effort from everyone in the community, we can get together a resonable facsimilie of the Great War. Anyone up to it?