Is SC baed off of old game "Clash of Steel"?

David Chapuis

I havent played SC yet (I am about to get it), but it sure looks and reads a lot like a game I played a couple years ago called clash of steel. The game map looks the same, the units looks the same, and a lot of features seem the same. Anybody have an idea, or is this game "look" very common?

Also, if anybody has played both, is SC more fun?

Cpl Dodge

The main similarity is in the map, though even in this respect the two games are appreciably different. Beyond that there is also the fact that neither game allows stacking and the units are of similar size abstractions.

If you've played a lot of COS, as I have, you'll realize after a small number of SC turns that they are basically two different approaches to the same subject.

In my view neither is clearly superior to the other. COS is basically antiquated at this point so comparissons are unfair. SC is a map and piece game, so glitzy visual and audio advances don't count for much.

If a new version of COS for Windows XP were released I'd have it beside SC on my shelf. I wouldn't say either is more fun than the other, I enjoy both on their own terms.

The added feature with SC is it's game designer, Hubert Cater, is still working on the game, has been issueing patches and likes to correct flaws and make those corrections available free to those who have purchased the product. Most other games I know of are usually put out by staffs in hiding. :D

[ April 09, 2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

I haven't played Clash of Steel; but I always assumed that Strategic Command was based on an Avalon Hill title called 3rd Reich.

The maps look close to identical, and also many of the rules are similar.

For example: plunder, supply mechanics, movement

mechanics, air to air combat, and surrender rules.

Maybe SC and COS were both inspired by the same source?

The computer has permitted a more interesting combat system than what 3rd Reich had, and the

game design of SC is generally more elegant and realistic: naval combat and strategic warfare are no longer resolved abstractly, unit losses are stepwise, and leadership has a huge influence on outcome.