A different approach to researchbonus

hans-micael

A question to Hubert:

Is it possible to reduce and increase defence and attack values of units without the brute force model where research *just* increases a units strength from 10 to 15?

Is it possible to give the symbols on the map such as Oil – some strategic bonus – fx. extra manouvering point to mech units incl. air wings –and the loss of symbols a reduction of manouvering points etc.

Paratroppers, Rangers, or Commandos, Mech Inf and Enginers should be reflected in research and give new odds when attacking or defending - and not just increase the strength overall of the units

Research in operational tactics such as Rangers and Commandos should increase the spotting range of Corps and landings with corps an increase in attack

Ex. Enginering: Offensive against Rivers - Now attacker is reduced to 50% offensive power when attacking from a river hex – but with each research improvement this reduction could decrease. Defensive it could increase the defense factor against attack from ground units. And so forth... smile.gif

Regards

Originally posted by hans-micael:

A question to Hubert:

Is it possible to reduce and increase defence and attack values of units without the brute force model where research *just* increases a units strength from 10 to 15?

It already does. An L1 tank has a higher armor attack value than does an L0 tank.

Paratroppers, Rangers, or Commandos, Mech Inf and Enginers should be reflected in research and give new odds when attacking or defending - and not just increase the strength overall of the units

Research in operational tactics such as Rangers and Commandos should increase the spotting range of Corps and landings with corps an increase in attack

Before I wasted much of the last month and a half trying to play a game of HOI that was (a) marginally enjoyable and (B) bore more than a vague resemblance to the actual events of the 20th century, I might have agreed with you. It may be that you do want to increase the number of researchable techs. Maybe make one for intelligence, that would allow you to find out more information about your opponents forces. Maybe make one for engineers, to make landings or river crossings easier.

Or maybe not. I was originally very impressed with HOI's research model; I think there's over 200 techs that you can research, depending upon what you have and what you need. But in the end, you do all that clicking and the net result is to increase the effectiveness of your infantry, tanks, planes, ships, subs, and industry. Here, you do a lot less clicking and the net result is to increase the effectiveness of your infantry, tanks, planes, ships, subs, and industry.

Simple isn't necessarily better, but complexity doesn't necessarily confer added realism, either. I'd vote to keep things simple.

[ January 10, 2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: arby ]