DOW on Irland

Dragonheart

Hi all,

I´m new to this game, read a lot of treads and AAR´s to understand what is going on. I understand the risk of all the gambits as Allied.

My question is why it´s a common move for the allied player to DOW irland early?

As far i understand the DOW of irland brings the USA 3-4 turns later into war that means 540-720 points loss for the allied player.

Is the early cash of arround 250 points and the training lessions for the carriers really that important and worth it?

On the other hand you have to land at least 2 corps to get dublin together with heavy shore bombardment. (isn´t it?) These corps can never leave the island so they are more or less lost. Another slight disadvantage is that the axis player will get earnings for irland. (don´t know how much)

Do the axis player reinforce the unit in dublin or is it a lost case like poland?

Your thoughs please.

Cheers Dragonheart

To DoW Ireland is not a must. Sometimes it can be better to leave it neutral. But attacking it in the first turn provides some advantages:

- carrier/ship/AF training

- Germany has to reinforce the corps until they are sure they can conquer Paris. If Ireland falls too early, UK can use all air + mpp in France and perhaps crush Germany with the additional irish mpp.

- because of that: each turn the irish corps looses 2-7 strength points= 16-42 mpp (vs 10mpp income)

- To conquer Ireland UK only needs 1 corps (not 2). It simply moves into the empty city after carrier/AR/ships destroyed the defender (with a bit training carriers/AF/ships do in average 2 damage).

- UK gets 250-350 (average 300) mpp plunder and 16 mpp/turn from Ireland. Early mpps are much more useful than the late mpps from USA. With these mpps UK can slow down Axis or do some research. Until USA comes in it usually takes 20-30 turns, multiplied with 16 mpp/turn...not much mpps lost in total anyway.

But sometimes UK needs its carriers somewhere else and cant attack Ireland, or they want to do an early invasion with USA help, then its also better to leave it neutral until USA comes in.

As the Allies I normally wait until the US joins and then DOW Ireland. Like Terif said, it's best to hammer the Dublin Corps with your CVs, a BB and any air you can spare. Once the Dublin Corps is destroyed transport a corps (I usually have one sitting in Liverpool waiting for the Irish to capitulate)over to Ireland and occupy Dublin.

I wait for the US to enter before doing this so as to not take a hit on American war entry.

It may be a good "strategy", but declaring war on Ireland is especially gamey. I think that the delay penalty for US entry is understated in the rules what with the large influential Irish population in the US. Even so, there was a lot of back and forth about whether the US should join in the war and that would have been more ammo against US entry. If Hitler hadn't declared war on the States...

norvandave

I don't think anyone will disagree that a Allied DoW on Ireland is "gamey". Same point has been argued over to a lesser extent about the Dutch Gambit. And as you correctly stated, the readiness penalty on the US doesn't really reflect the problems such a DoW would have had.

But as we have no other choice, the only way to deal with it is thru a House Rule. Or accept the gameyness.