Partisan Mania?

santabear

The discussion of partisans after a Russian surrender (see the "Russian Surrender" thread), got me thinking about SC's handling of partisan warfare in general. Here are some things that I question:

1. During the summertime, any swamp hex without a German ZOC is very likely (75%, I think) to get 'partisan infested.'

2. Partisan units will march themselves into the Russian army and get reinforced to become regular corps (including 'anti-tank' research bonuses, I believe)

Here are the historical facts as I know them:

1. Although Stalin and the Soviet government encouraged Partisans from the beginning of the war, there were few resources devoted to developing partisan warfare until after Stalingrad. Therefore the partisan contribution to the war effort in 41-42 was relatively insignificant.

2. Partisan activity was not uniform throughout Russia. Some areas in the Ukraine were actually under partisan control (Germans risked their lives anywhere in these areas), while other areas never had a 'partisan problem' at all.

3. As partisan areas were liberated by the advancing Red Army, the partisans were sometimes incorporated into army units. But they often had trouble adapting to army discipline and routine; and a significant number were too sick (TB mostly) to be fit for service in the army. I think they were most often used by the army for 'partisan' like jobs (recon, mostly).

Perhaps SC2 could address some of these issues by making partisan activity variable depending on the season (as it is now), the geographic location, and the year (small in 41 with an increasing probability to Russian surrender/victory). Then the "Russian Surrender" thread should kick in smile.gif

And partisans units shouldn't become Red Army corps, in my opinion.