Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Response to An Exiled Thread

JerseyJohn

Immer

As you will have noticed the topic you've posted has indeed been moved to our Siberia to be chomped on by Dirtweasle and GeneralBrock and those other great scholars. I haven't gone there to see what they've done with it but I will after finishing this.

There is no need for you to aplogize. At the time of the incident I was taken by surprise and misunderstood the entry. Also, as you mention, it's impossible to anticipate how one of our entries will be taken by another specifically mentioned in it; what is that person's mood, has he just won the lottery or has he just received some bad news from a doctor? And the reciprical is true, what were the circumstances of the person posting the remark?

But there is also a balance to be struck, one confrontational moment weighed against hundreds of mutually appreciated entries that either entertained or informed or both. To me the balance is so far into the positive as to have made the negative incident immediately negligable and forgettable without the need of an apology from anyone; for my part I could certainly have made my remarks in a less hostile manner, under most circumstances I would have, under those exact circumstances combined with other things beyond the reach of this site, my response was overly beligerant.

So, if you feel the need to say you're sorry I have to say I'm also sorry -- reminding me of the War Room scene in Doctor Strangelove where, with the world on the brink of WW III the President and the Soviet Premier are bickering over which of them is more sincerly sorry ( "How can you say that, Dimitri! Dimitri, I'm capable of being just as sorry as you are, perhaps even more sorry." Inspiring me to post a still of that scene from the movie but under the circumstances . . .. :D

In defense of your alledgedly strange normal postings I offer as Exhibit A the following ignored masterpiece:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As originally posted by Cpl Dodge:

"What does "HOI" mean?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's an ancient and arcane Latin expression... Hominus, Ominus Indignus... or,

In English: There's a sucker born every minute!

No one else posts such humorous strangeness and the Forum is much better for having it.

BTW Great point about the American soldiers in Iraq. Making matters worse is the presence of TV cameras everywhere making a hundred malcontents seem like a crowd of thousands. Aside from which, these people have been without electricity and water for a month now, I venture to say that would make most city populations a bit irritable. Beyond that, I have a sneaking suspicion a lot of the unrest is being caused by those fearless warriors who last month were marching around with their faces concealed behind designer ninja outfits. I'm waiting to hear what those people have to say when the Americans pull out entirely from those patrols and the restored Iraqi police resume their tried and true procedure of kicking suspects in the head as an accepted means of interrogation.

[ April 17, 2003, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]