Penalties for surprise contact?

Col. Kurtz

I have a newbie question concerning surprise contacts. Does a land or naval unit triggering a surprise contact or an air unit being intercepted by another air unit that is not visible suffer any kind of combat penalty in the combat resolution?

hihi... ;)

In a surprise contact attacker and defender change roles and units originally without an attack ability (e.g. transports or subs vs subs) get an extra bonus i.e. can do damage to the surprised unit.

So e.g. if you move a submarine and get surprised by an enemy ship, then your submarine defends and the enemy attacks. Cause the sub has a defence of 0 the enemy doesnt take damage, but attacks your sub with its full attack value.

Since the attack value of nearly every unit is much higher than its defence value, it is a big disadvantage to get surprised - reconnaissance is very important. Before an attack/move if possible use air or cheap corps/corps-transports to reconnoitre the enemy positions.

In air to air combat it makes no difference - there doesnt exist a real surprise contact (surprise contacts only occur when you move a unit, but here you attack with the AF and dont move it) - only when an attacking AF gets destroyed the game displays a surprise contact, but as far as I know here it has no influence in the combat.