Italy surrenders in turn 6

I have developed some time ago an strategy to take Italy in 6 turns, plunder 900, and well, game over. Never used it online, never will. But i would like to forbide this kind of invasion in the ladder. Whats the point in a victory when the enemy cant do anything against it?

That would corroborate some discussion about the weakness in the inicial italian forces. Maybe the army in africa should go to rome.

Good point. Why not just have the unit in Rome converted to an Army and for good measure place an airfleet or even two on the Italian penninsula. Italy had the planes, they weren't any worse than the French and Russians had in their 1940 airfleets. Also, there should be a corps in Bari and another in Trieste without removing the Army from the French border.

1940 Italy had plenty of men and planes. How Mussolini and the fascists used them is another matter entirely. It wasn't even that his generals and admirals were inept, they gave consistently sound advice, it was his decision to constantly ignore it.

Regardless John, whether Italian Leadership were inept or not, the average Italian soldier fought like an Iraqi. Whether it was due to lack of Morale, Nationilism, and equipment<or a combination of those things> they performed as well as many 3rd World Balkan Nations<with even more outdated equipment> I have to assume that when the Italian coupe happened and they hung Mousillini that the Italian Airforce stood out more at that point<the Allied aligned Italians> then they had ever before! They actually had a true enemy at long last, an evil German horde wanting to rape their women and control their Goverment. The Fiat company from all I've seen on the Wings channel has showed promise before the War and during they didn't do half bad in their fighter production. That there were Italian Aces shows that perhaps with-More and better arrangement the Italians would have done good fighting for a "Just Cause." Perhaps why the Country was not so fragmented and punished as Post-War Germany as the Allies felt she was a smaller contributor in all aspects. Even though Germany herself attempted a Leadership coupe and Berlin nearly fell to the Conspirators in '44, <little known event> most people just know of the attempt on Hitler's Life...If it wasn't for another mad dash of luck perhaps the War would've been stopped much much earlier<before much of the damage had been done>

i dont think the italian troops were crap, but the officers...omg, they were real crap. But as u say John they had lots of men and ...planes, the idea of 1 airplane for italy is not a bad idea, but i shold give em a carrier instead, in this game, if italy had a carrier the days of wine and roses for terif would be over.j/k. :D

The Italian Army sufferred from the following:

Poor Leadership ... Officers felt they were superior to there men and got priveliges while the enlisted me suffered.

Support of Govt ... Majority of the military believed there loyalty was to the House of Savoy, not Mussolini. Weren't very enthusastic for any adventure Mussolini got them into.

Shortage of NCO's ... There weren't enough to support the number of units they had.

Organization ... In an effort to raise more divisions, the number of infantry battalions was reduced from nine (9) to six (6). Tried to make up for some of this loss by adding Black Shirt units to the divisions.

Equipment ... What they had was old, and quite a few of them had little or no equipment.

All of the above resulted in the overall poor performance in Africa and the disasterious showing against the British, even though they outnumbered them.

Once Rommel showed up, he put some of them back into a triangular division structure (ie 9 bn's), and combat provided on the job training for the NCO's (as well as weeding out some of the worst of the officers).

If they got a chance to reorganize and had some combat to shake themselves out, they were competent, even good, infantry.

[ March 14, 2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Shaka of Carthage ]