The Initial Russian front line is bad for the game.

zappsweden

Originally posted by Shaka of Carthage:

A Russian infantry division per to&e is only 9500 men. A German infantry division per to&e is 17,000 men.

The Russian Tank "Corp", which never had more than 12,000 men, is more equivalent to a western armored division (10,000 to 15,000).

These numbers are incorrect. Page 152 Stumbling Colossus by Glantz has a side by side comparison of these units full stength on the eve of Barbarossa.

Soviet Rifle Division

14,483 men

10,420 rifles and carbines

166 Heavy MG

392 Light MG

33 Anti Aircraft MG

1204 Sub Machine Guns

0 Anti Tank Rifles

144 Guns

66 Mortars

558 Vehicles

3039 Horses

16 Light Tanks

13 Armoured Cars

99 Tractors

German Infantry Division

16,859 Men

11,500 Rifles and Carbines

142 Heavy Machine Guns

434 Light Machine Guns

0 Anti Aircraft MG

787 Sub Machine Guns

81 Anti-Tank Rifles

161 Guns

54 Mortars

902 Vehicles

6358 Horses

0 Light Tanks

16 Armoured Cras

62 Tractors

Page 154 compares Tank Divisions

Red Army

10940 Men

375 Tanks

95 Armoured Cars

454 Motorcycles

40 Guns

18 Mortars

84 Tractors

1568 Vehicles

German Army

16000 men

135-209 Tanks

25 Armoured Cars

1289 Motorcycles

72 Guns

30 Mortars

200 Tractors

1568 Vehicles

This excellent book also contains side by side comparisons of all sorts of other units.

The one thing to keep in mind was that while most Red Army divisions in the western districts had the full compliment on manpower, they were lacking in other areas of equipment. For example none of it's infantry divisions had it's compliment of tanks. These were all concentrated in tank divisions and motorized corps. So on and so forth.

I lent my copy of the Red Army handbook to a friend to read, otherwise I could provide a year by year break down of Red Army divisional strength.

The soviet union realized that war with Nazi Germany was inevitable. The only suprise was that Hitler started it in June 1941 when the soviets were expecting it in 1942.

The germans caught the soviets "creeping up to war".

I agree that the game fails to represent the attritional factor that led to Germany's downfall.

A good source for totals is in the forward of "The Eastern Front". And I quote;

In the course of "The Great Patriotic War 1941-1945", the Soviet Union mobilzed 29,574,900 men. Wartime turnover in manpower amounted to 21,700,000. During 1,418 days of barbarized warfare, bereft of any legal or moral constraints, the Red Army's battlefield losses were more than half those 21 million, 11,440,100 men put permanently out of action (killed).

Other numbers listed are 16,350,000 civilians shot, starved, neglected or murdered in concentration camps. 2 Million deported for slave labour in the Reich.

Each minute of this war cost 9-10 russian lives, each hour 587, each day 14,000.

The red army finally destroyed, disabled or captured 607 Axis divisions.

In doing so the Red Army lost 96,500 tanks, 106,400 aircraft and 317,000 guns.

It also states in that the Anglo-American armies in North Africa, Italy and Western Europe destroyed 176 Axis Divisions.

Numbers that certainly boggle the mind.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Konstantin

Those numbers you've put up have certainly boggled my mind!

Incredible.

I've always wondered why the Soviets held Axis POWs till the fifties and early sixties, many of them dying along the way. Now I know the answer, with 21,000,000 admitted dead or incapacitated and over 16,000,000 dead civilians with 2,000,000 more probably vanished, an incredible total of over 39,000,000 people lost to their economy, they kept the prisoners because they needed them as a work force!

I'd heard that explanation for years and thought it was nonsense, but apparently it actually was the reason. Always thought it was more like half that figure for both soldiers and civilians, which would still have been incredible, but the figures you post make sense.

Their lose of life was about equal to mid-fifties estimates for a nuclear war!

Glad you shared those figures. Great stuff.

[ February 14, 2003, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

KVK

The Russian inf div you quoted is at the start of Barbarossa. That to&e was never attained again, due to the massive intial losses they suffered. The offical to&e reduced the size of the infantry bn's and stripped men from the combat support units.

All the other numbers I gave agree to what you have stated, except for the German Panzer div, which is about 1,000 men off.

I'm sure you'll agree that if you compare five different sources, you will get five different numbers on what the units looked like.

None of the units in the field kept to the standard to&e's, but the above does illustrate that the Russian Inf div is much smaller than the German one.

Your manpower numbers for the Russians are interesting. They show almost a 3:1 advantage to the Germans. Same with your battlefield losses, they show a much higher number of Russian losses that I show. Either way, relative to the Germans, the Russians had superior manpower resources.