Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

War readyness of USA & USSR ???

Ranson52

If you hide them, then you have a big luck factor in the game.
I agree. Even with the "Prepare for war" message, you only get 1-2 turns of warning. Or an Axis attack on Vichy France could bring the USA in immediately, or an attack on Turkey could bring the USSR in immediately, depending on where readiness levels are. There should be some other indication besides the one warning message.

Since the "Prepare for war" message pops up when readiness hits 90% or more, something random at the 75-85% mark would be helpful. "Mobilizes reserves" would be good, and that would provide a couple more turns of warning. The Axis player has to assume that his aggressive activity is provoking a reaction; he just shouldn't be able to see exact numbers.

Edwin has some interesting ideas about messages related to specific game events and other historical events. I'm curious to see if Hubert is able to implement those or not. If not, something simple like the two warning messages would be fine. It should be sufficient to know when USSR and USA are a) getting upset and B) getting really mad.

As originally posted by Terif:

War entry levels:

If you hide them, then you have a big luck factor in the game. Either you are lucky and move your armies to the border in time, then you can make the usual preemptive strike. Or you miss the time frame...

Seems like part of the FUN would be to TRY and time your various nefarious Empire dreams & schemes to closely accord to game developments, WITHOUT knowing precisely when they might arrive.

Otherwise, you can be too-too exacting when you try to cut corners, like Bill Macon tries to do in our games. (... recently he damn near conquered the whole known world, and still managed to beat the Barbarossa clock... by merely a tiny little hair on his chinny-chin chin! :eek: )

Far better, I am thinking, to prepare for assumed eventualities, AS BEST YOU CAN, and not have such PRECISE information on other Countries and their war preparations.

And so, I am also in favor of those hints of inclination that might appear in pOp-uP boxes, as Edwin P has suggested.

IF we get a more detailed Diplomatic model in SC2, this would allow us to approximate the course of the War, without knowing, in perfectly pliable Hindsight, just what MAY occur next. ;)

IF you place sufficient MPPs into trying to influence, say, Spain or Sweden, THEN you can safely GUESS at future tendencies, BUT... you will never know for surely sure.

This seems a fine way to insure maximum replayability, while preserving the Gamer's ability to influence future events, yes? :cool:

Terif,

Thanks for the advice on assigning those resources. Immer Etwas has also told me that and in his 1939 scenario follows that course.

The reason I thought a port was required is because Martinov, several patches back, put out a scenario where Germany had the Swedish mines, which were linked to Norway, but wouldn't realize the MPPs from them unless it had Bergen. I believe that was in the v1.05 days. That part of his scenario can no longer be duplicated; minor resources can't be allotted to majors now unless their activated.

Leningrad and it's port should each yield 5 MPPs to Germany, I agree. But in the several games I've tried it in they stay at 3 MPPs. I have no explanation for this.