Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Future versions

Dr.Dan

As a newbie, may I say I find the discussions very interesting. I agree with those who say that disbanding units (particularly the French navy) should be limited to crippled units. The argument that the resources expended on building a fleet(for example) would not be lightly thrown aside is self-evident.

My reason for logging in is to suggest additions to the basic game which is an excellent start on the historical process we call WWII.

1. the option to select national forces before 1939

2. the inclusion of a "foreign policy" option so that Germany or Britain can expend points to court Turkey or Spain as an example

3. the availability of "minor" Soviet units at half strength to represent their true strength in armour and air power

4. pre-war determination of research points

These are a few suggestions which might make the game better in the sense of more historically accurate.

Dr Dan,

Welcome aboard the raft.

I believe they've been discussed at various times though off hand I can't recall the exact threads. Diplomacy was an especially hot issue early last Spring.

The last point is something that hasn't been beaten to death, though, and it's an interesting idea.

Hmmmm....I ponder the question as to whether or not suggestions are still relevant for SC2....It would be nice to know where the game stands and whether or not such ideas that have been posted might in fact cause a lightbulb to flash above Hubert's head as he thinks a post idea is good enough for SC2...maybe these ideas might see the light of day in SC3?...I guess this is one of those annoying, and not very subtle, "when will SC2 be released?" posts huh?.... smile.gif

Originally posted by JerseyJohn:

Dr Dan,

Welcome aboard the raft.

I believe they've been discussed at various times though off hand I can't recall the exact threads. Diplomacy was an especially hot issue early last Spring.

The last point is something that hasn't been beaten to death, though, and it's an interesting idea.

Thanks for your reply. I'm still trying to make my way through the process here so if I'm being impolite, let me know. I'm sure I'm miles behind the curve, but I think the game has a tremendous potential.

Dan

Originally posted by J P Wagner:

Hmmmm....I ponder the question as to whether or not suggestions are still relevant for SC2....It would be nice to know where the game stands and whether or not such ideas that have been posted might in fact cause a lightbulb to flash above Hubert's head as he thinks a post idea is good enough for SC2...maybe these ideas might see the light of day in SC3?...I guess this is one of those annoying, and not very subtle, "when will SC2 be released?" posts huh?.... smile.gif

Originally posted by J P Wagner:

Interesting ideas.

I always thought that foreign policy should have more of a role in the game. I even suggested that the Axis player have the option to select either Italy or Turkey as a future Axis member during their first turn. Of course this would totally change the game.

The preware determination of research points also sounds interesting but you would have to balance it, perhaps by restricting this freedom to certain little used units. For example +1 Level in Bombers or Rockets or Anti Air or Subs, Not Jets or LongRange or Anti-Tank or Armor.

Dr Dan,

Not being impolite at all, unless you're extremely psychic you'll have no way of knowing what we've discussed.

Often the proper keyword will yeild good results in the search area, but you've got to remember to make sure it's set on Strategic Command and not one of the other games.

Anyhow, let the fear of repitition turn you off from suggesting things. When I comment that something has been gone into already it isn't to insinuate it shouldn't be discussed further, only to let people know that there's already information on it relevant to SC. Many times more can be found out through a search than by asking about it. But, as I say, whichever method works best for you is what you should go with.

Originally posted by Edwin P.:

Interesting ideas.

I always thought that foreign policy should have more of a role in the game. I even suggested that the Axis player have the option to select either Italy or Turkey as a future Axis member during their first turn. Of course this would totally change the game.

The preware determination of research points also sounds interesting but you would have to balance it, perhaps by restricting this freedom to certain little used units. For example +1 Level in Bombers or Rockets or Anti Air or Subs, Not Jets or LongRange or Anti-Tank or Armor.

Originally posted by Dr.Dan:

Edwin:

Thanks for your reply. Foreign policy is a key to strategy. Just ask Bush and Rmsfeld. To include this aspect changes the whole perpective of the game regarding minor powers.

Dan

Dr. Dan....a suggestion if I may...when you open up a message by starting off with a quote, you can type below the quote so that your response is in the same post, like this one is...I thought I would give you this heads up so you can save some time for yourself....enjoy the game!

One of the things I want to see in SC2 is more variety within a balanced game.

Turkey or Spain joining the Axis instead of Italy is relatively balanced.

Spain and Italy joining the Axis is not balanced, except if that causes Norway and Sweden to join the Allies or Norway, Sweden and Finland sign a mutual defense treaty in response or the UK gives Gibraltar to the US and the US Navy is reinforced by ships sent from the Pacific fleet. (then the Axis can't take Gibraltar without declaring war on the US)

I am all for diplomacy, but their should be a range of unintended consequences to each action.

For example if the Axis convince Turkey to join their alliance would this cause Greece to ally with the UK? (say a 20%) or would it cause Yugoslavia and Greece to ally with the UK (say 20%) or would this increase Russian War Readiness? (say 20%) or would news of this casue Spain to double the size of its army and begin entrenching its forces, making any conquest by the Axis harder (say 20%). Unlike the Current SC where you know the consequences of your actions having a wider range of results would make the game, at least for me, more enjoyable.

[ March 03, 2004, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

I think you've summed up my concept better than I could have myself. The inclusion of a Diplomatic feature that incorporates your ideas would be a positive improvement to the game. A recognition that the minor powers played a large role in the 'balance of power' is not a historically insignificant point. You have obviously given this some serious thought.