Strategic Command-Cold War

Halder

Halder,

Actually, here it is AS IS. It does not include Logan's new icons, etc. yet. Please let me know when you have grabbed it and I will delete this link. But I definitely need your feedback. Also make sure you read the included readme before you play.

Thanks,

Narayan

Link removed until I can get it to work properly. If you would like for me to e-mail this to you, then please let me know. I only want to release it to a select few for further playtesting for now. Thank you - NS

[ September 10, 2003, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Narayan Sengupta ]

Copy the part of the link between "http" and ".zip" into your browser address window, it's there.

Brilliant work, Narayan, and great, era-evocative icons, Logan.

There is so much that is good here that I won't comment on all that, but only on the parts I think could be tweaked.

I don't agree with the starting AT tech level given the US infantry forces, should be at least on par with the USSR, and certainly not inferior to the French units. I don't think Milans etc were that much better than TOW-2s. The US "Army of Excellence" J-series MTOE had a lot of provision for anti-tank weapons, and remember, the only difference in a US armored division and a US mech infantry division is an armor/infantry battalion mix of 5/4 to 4/5.

There is some difficulty in using the SC corps/army paradigm to model US corps/armies of the era or today. Seventh and the other armies are more or less HQs, artillery, CS asset, and log support superstructures for the corps.

It was expected in that time that a US brigade should take on a Soviet division, and so forth up the chain. Might be useful to use army and tank group units to model the US corps, although how to differentiate between Vth and VIIth given the fact that at that time one was M60/M113 based and the other M1/Bradley based, I don't know.

The resource point turn totals definitely are off, the Warsaw pact simply didn't have the ability to turn around their vast empire's resources into usable industrial production that fast. The plan was to hold out long enough for Pact logistical collapse, hopefully before they crossed the Rhine. Don't know how to get around that either, other than plussing up the NATO starting RP warchest greatly.

At any rate, love what you've done, as a US Army officer in Germany between '86 and '89 I've been waiting for something like this for a long time, many thanks!

"Brilliant work, Narayan, and great, era-evocative icons, Logan."

Many thanks John. It's very nice compliments from people like you that make all of the hard work worthwhile. And Logan has been incredible in the icons he has made.

Thank you John,

You're right - I goofed on the experience for the US Army. Not sure what I was thinking. It also struck me when I was play-testing last. I think I was afraid that the WP wouldn't stand a chance against NATO (AI) if the US troops were as experienced as in real-life.

I will also be reducing the French Army's rating as well.

Can you give me a better idea about US force dispositions and names in other places - Turkey, for instance?

I do agree that the resource point totals are high for WP, but I was trying to figure out how to balance things.

Narayan

[ September 10, 2003, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Narayan Sengupta ]

"Can you give me a better idea about US force dispositions and names in other places - Turkey, for instance?"

Let me do a little research, I knew some people that had been stationed near Incilrik during that time, but don't know much about specific units, mainly air force stuff there at that time.

The French ratings probably are about right if you also use the French to model the Israelis, in hindsight.

Thank you John, but the icons that came with the set were only partly mine. The icons that I sent Narayan (and should come out in a pack, possibly with the mod) are all mine and you should take a look at them when Narayan puts them up. As for the balance issue, I already brought up a lot of issues with Narayan and proposed a fair number of solutions, but fixing all of those things will take time.

Narayan, did you get my e-mail(s)?

Logan Hartke

The following site may have some useful information: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/incirlik-history.htm

It would appear that the primary air unit there, or elements thereof, was the 401st Tactical Fighter Wing, equipped in 1985 with F-16s of the then-current mark. Other units would rotate in and out to use the nearby ranges.

Most non-AF US personnel stationed in Turkey were assigned to NATO HQ, and there were of course aircraft-delivered nuclear weapons present. Sadly, I wasn't important enough to be read in on the Turkish portion of the SIOP back then. ;)

Originally posted by John Carter, Desklord of Mars:

Might be useful to use army and tank group units to model the US corps, although how to differentiate between Vth and VIIth given the fact that at that time one was M60/M113 based and the other M1/Bradley based, I don't know.

I could easily do that, its just that I fear people confusing those units with tank units. Also, I think that people would also start to lose respect for the "boots on the ground" and, even though I admit I am a tankaholic, I think that the boots are underappreciated and I almost would feel guilty replacing that icon with an APC and/or IFV, do you know what I mean? Over the weekend, if I have some free time, I could give it a shot, but I'd need to do that with all of the countries. I was thinking for US - M113(corps)/M2 Bradley(army), for UK - FV432(corps)/Warrior(army-even though its 2yrs early), for France - AMX-VTT(corps)/AMX-10(army), for USSR - MTLB or BTR-50(corps)/BMP-1 or BMP-2(army). For France, I'd have picked the VAB instead of the AMX-VTT, but wheels look funny when all other vehicles have tracks in the game.

Logan Hartke