What your 'Barbarossa' look like?...

Minotaur

Sometime it's fun to change the world, sometime it's fun to improve a game and sometime it's fun just to talk about how we plays... ;)

So, assuming you are the Axis and you have plenty of time to prepare for it...

Where is your main attack will be?...

- The line Riga-Leningrad to make sure Finland survive?

- The line Minsk-Smolensk to take Moscow?

- The line Odessa-Sevastopol-Rostov to grab Russian Caucasus?

- The line Kiev-Kharkov-Voronezh?

- An equal advance on all fronts?

- A mix & match of all of the above?

Originally posted by Minotaur:

So, assuming you are the Axis and you have plenty of time to prepare for it...

Where is your main attack will be?...

I generally try to keep the attack universal on the first turn. I use an amphibious invasion to take out Riga, which secures my Northern flank and leaves Leningrad exposed. After that, though, I'm shooting for the South. The quicker you knock out the two Soviet mines there (plus the one in the middle), the better. Plus, the real goal is Stalingrad and the Caucasus. Once the the Soviet Union is cut in two, that's all she wrote.

One thing's kind of interesting though. We've been talking about the "too many units" problem, especially with regard to Germany. The Germans launched Barbarossa with a force of about 3.2 million men. In game terms, that works out to roughly 32 armies. I doubt that anyone has managed to get much more than half that in this game.

As I've mentioned in other threads, a Barbarossa that includes an Axis invasion through Turkey into the Caucasus runs the Russians out of MPPs faster than anything. And if you have invaded Norway/Sweden, an amphibious landing between Riga and Leningrad works wonders.

Other than that, a broad front attack that exploits whatever weaknesses the Russian develops (and there will be weak spots if you force him to defend from the Baltic to the Black Sea) has usually worked better for me than an overly-scripted set piece attack. I think with real, human armies in the field it would be difficult to improvise on a strategic level as much as one can in this game, but it works wonderfully in SC.

arby

One thing's kind of interesting though. We've been talking about the "too many units" problem, especially with regard to Germany. The Germans launched Barbarossa with a force of about 3.2 million men. In game terms, that works out to roughly 32 armies. I doubt that anyone has managed to get much more than half that in this game.

That 3.2 million men mark is somewhat misleading. There were 134 German combat divisions (32 armor/motorized) going into Russia. Depending on how you slice it, you will get alot less units.