Don't keep Allies in territories of countries about to surrender!

Lt Bull

Yeah, basically what the title says. I am not sure but I think the latest patch makes any Allied units in territories of a country which surrenders become eliminated, rather than displaced. In a PBEM I am having, I had my opponent loose 2 British corp, a British fighter unit and a Canadian army which he had placed in that French territory of Syria (next to Iraq), when France surrendered. As you probably know, the French territories become neutral when France surrenders(run by Vichy France).

This seems a bit harsh. Can anyone justify the loss of all these units rather than have them displaced to an adjacent territory? Anyways, he was being cheeky and planning a buildup to invade Iraq and it's oilfields like I had done in our other PBEM where I am playing Allies (Kinda like the US are doing now really tongue.gif ).

Lt Bull

Yeah, any comments on what "historically" would happen to Allied units caught within the borders of a once Allied country that decides to go neutral? Has there been a historical precedent for this?

Lt Bull

[ March 16, 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Lt Bull ]

Heheh, I had this happen to me also, my first game as Allies against the AI. What a rude shock to see my British HQ and armor unit vanish with a poof. :eek: :D

There's two ways to treat invading Iraq as Allies. You can do it after the US enters so as not to antagonize them and delay readiness. Of course, this runs the risk that the Axis might beat you to it.

Then, there's the option of attacking it as soon as you have sufficient forces to take the city. This tees off Uncle Sam, but you get the MPP earlier and better supply through Beirut/Syria (providing France is still alive and kicking) just have to be careful with the timing on the fall of France so as not to lose any units.

One of my current PBEM opponents pulled off a novel low-budget attack strategy against me there. He declared war on Iraq but only attacked with one British corps. He circled around Baghdad, stealing the two oil well MPP's and then camped within reach of the city. If I went out with my Iraqi Baghdad corps to reclaim the oil, he was ready to pounce and occupy the city. This state of affairs lasted until I was able to land Italians in the Sinai and go recover oil well MPPs.

So far as I know, losing troops to Vichy conversion is unique in the game. Agreed, it seems a tad harsh, but once you're aware of it, just stay the heck out of South of France / Algeria / Syria with France on the ropes. ;)

[ March 17, 2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Steve C ]